Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again- now I can try the 5770 video card in my old HP machine - it failed to work before- pretty sure it was a driver issue with both the ATI and the nvida drivers on the same machine. OK - one more time:

#1 physically remove Nvida card ( 8600gts) from the machine.
#2 then reboot to safe mode.
#3 open up driver sweeper and check the display and physX boxes and "clean"
#4 shut down
#5 install Ati GPU card ( 5770)
#6 Reboot - hopefully the ATI drivers will auto load.
#7 Go to ATI website and update drivers.

#8= ENJOY playing games without lag,etc. Y- E-A-H

Have replaced the PSU with an OCZ fatality 550 watt. So, power should not be the issue. The 5770 card worked ( as did a 4650 which was also tried) but then would kick me to desktop regularly when playing games or the PC would completely freeze-up. As soon as I popped out the 5770 and replaced with the 8600gts card these problems did not happen- but performance is the issue with the old 8600gt card.

Okay. The way you said it, sounded like it didn't work at all.

There are known issues with catalyst so that too could be a source of issues.

But yha, this is a driver issue of some sort. Have you watched temps as you strss the card?

I will this time. But at the time I did not really know what i was doing so did not download CPU programs or anything that monitored the heat. I have learned a great deal on this website in the past months. So, hopefully I will be able to get this up and running properly now.

What motherboard are you running? and have you tried updating the drivers for it? I ask because both cards that have not worked push a lot more data than the 8600 so I am wondering if maybe your mobo drivers are either out of date of corrupt. It's an outside chance but an easy try.

I am also wondering if maybe the PCI-E lanes may be compromised somehow, either by way of a partial short or thermal damage. Again, very slim chance but it does fit the symptoms.

As a recap, uninstall all graphics drivers through the Add/Remove Programs in Windows, boot to safe mode, run DriverSweeper, have it clean out any graphics drivers (Nvidia and ATI), reboot into Windows, then try installing the drivers for whichever card you want to run.

Also, try using CCleaner to lasso in your background apps that launch with Windows. This could all be some kind of resource clash.

OK - just when I was feeling confident!! How do you look for new MOBO drivers? The mobo is the original model -but fairly new as I replaced it about one year ago due to it frying when I tried to upgrade to better RAM. I will try to find the thread on asking about upgrading this PC some time ago - info on the HP model etc. is found there. I am at work so cant just look right now. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom