Which component is the bottleneck in my system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedster

Beta member
Hello!For the past few months i ve been trying to find out what s wrong with my system and i m not able to get the most out of it.
Since i m not too experienced with that stuff i d like some help.
Which component is the bottleneck in my system?

Here are my system specs:

-Gigabyte EP43_DS3L
-Corsair VX550W
-Intel Q9500(OC to 3.4)
-Sapphire Radeon 4870 1GB
-2x2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 (CL4-4-4-12)
-Xigmatek HDT-S1283
-Vista Home Premium 64

I'm going to have to target that last line, Vista. I'm willing to put money that if you go to 7, you will have a significant increase in performance.

I'm use to working on lower end systems (personal computers that come into my shop for repair) and when your working with less, you notice a lot more. Vista requires 4gigs to equal what XP does with 1gig.

just my humble opinion, I'll be following this thread to see what other people think.

I have both Vista and XP (2 different hard drives, XP being my main). Whenever I boot up on my Vista hard drive, it is MUCH slower. amd 2.8ghz am2+ dual core, 4gb ram ddr2 1066, 700w psu, radeon 4850, gigabyte 760g mobo, and I believe both hdd's are 32mb cache 7200rpm 3.0gb/s. My computer isn't slow by any means, but more than enough IMO. I just can't believe Vista is that much slower.

what do you mean "i m not able to get the most out of it."

is freecell taking a while to shuffle or did the last data compile go from 19 hours to 22 hours?

there really isnt anything slow on that system, but its a varied definition...

what do you mean "i m not able to get the most out of it."

To be more specific.
This is my gaming rig and it doesn t look normal to me,getting so low frame rates even on 1280x1028 resolution.Every driver on my PC is updated.
For some reason i think one of the hardware components is holding back system's performance.
Maybe i m wrong...?

As mentioned previously, Vista requires more RAM. And you're using DDR2 800 memory when you could be using DDR 1066 or even 1200 (O.C.). Also, what are you using for cooling? Heat can slow down a computer dramatically, depending on how hot it really gets. And what are the specs on your HDD?

what does the windows experience index rate all of your components? do you have photoshop or some other program that you can run that relies almost totally on the cpu instead of the gpu? is your vista hard drive 'green' or a laptop hard drive? do you have an overclocking program that you could use to stress your system as it is now to see if something isnt working correctly? and then: are you sure you dont have a virus/spamware?

I have 2 HDDs.A SEAGATE ST3500418AS 500GB(3 partitions for Vista/Downaloads/Program Files) & a Western Digital WD1600AAJB(just for Backup).
Also i ve used Prime95,Memtest and intel burn test for some stress testing.
My system temperature is completely normal and i have no virus.
Dunno why but i keep thinking it s my graphics card....

Your harddrives could use an update. 8MB cache is very slow. 16MB isn't all that great either. Bump up to 32mb or even 64 and you should notice a difference.

Dunno why but i keep thinking it s my graphics card....

then its probably your graphics card. try rolling back the drivers or updating them (i think amd went to 11.1 a few days ago...) figure out what is different than when it was running well before and dont do that anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom