What's the best motherboard for my new Core i5 2500K processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were looking forward to seeing your benchmark scores in the OC sub forum ;)

PP,

Thank you for your encouragement!

But, I know next to nothing when it comes to Over Clocking. My present system [Core i5-750] is still cruising at stock speeds simply because I know not how to OC and the system seems barely stable at stock speeds!

I blew up [i.e. fried] my AMD 1050T system when I plugged in a new GTX 460 last week. I think I fried the MB. The entire system was working flawlessly for several months at the time of its demise. I am waiting now for a RMA'd MB.

I just hoping I can get the new Gigabyte's P67A-UD3 motherboard working well with the Sandy Bridge Intel 2400K CPU. My present i5-750 has been one big headache [I've had more problems with this i5-750 rig than all of the combined rigs I built in the last 10 years. It's been so painful.

After reading several posts, I am beginning to have serious doubts about this new rig I am about to put together. Many people are having challenges/nightmares with the combo I just purchased...

It was a great price and I thought I would give it a shot because people were saying 4.5 Ghz on air with one click of the button. Now I am not so sure I made a good decision.

Anyway, I suppose time will tell.

Some people are saying Gigabyte will soon release some newer BIOS versions. Apparently the present BIOS is giving people a difficult time.

PP, how's your i5-750 running? Is it stable?

Maybe I just got a lemon.

Have a nice day PP!

It's me,

Soar

UPDATE: I am seeing a shipload of major BIOS, load, and other related problems as I read Gigabyte's forum's posts on the GA-P67A-UD3 LGA 1155 P67 ATX Intel Motherboard.

This kind of makes me NOT want to use it.

I heard that the GA-P67A-UD4 version is outselling the GA-P67A-UD3 version on a 10-1 ratio.

Anyone here have any experience with Intel's i5-2500K + GA-P67A-UD4 combo?

Please help me choose the right MB and avoid the major headaches so many people are experiencing with the GA-P67A-UD3!

Thanks,

Soar

I've read similar BIOS issues with my Asus board as well, I think this has more to do with it being a completely new CPU architecture than board quality. I haven't had any issues with my P8P67 Deluxe but I have read issues that some people needed their new BIOS update, (amazing they already have an update lol).

As for your previous computer problems, have you been using an anti-static wrist band when working on the computers? Replacing a video card shouldn't cause any problems but if you have static built up in your body and touch the wrong part of the motherboard or video card, then yea, you could easily fry some components. I'd recommend in getting a good anti-static wrist strap and follow good procedures by touching the computer case frequently to discharge any static electricity built up in your body. Also don't work on the computers over carpet, I've done this in the past myself and dodged some bullets in doing so, but it's good advice to avoid that situation ;)

I'd go ahead and wait for the new mobo and try again. Be patient when you build the system, don't rush anything. Good troubleshooting requires a lot of patience. I've had loads of issues pop up when building my Sandy Bridge PC as well, it just comes with the territory of building your own system. Unfortunately for me I think I shorted out a capacitor in my monitor while moving it around and this was given to me from a friend so I have no choice but to buy a new one, I wish I could just RMA it!

I've read similar BIOS issues with my Asus board as well, I think this has more to do with it being a completely new CPU architecture than board quality. I haven't had any issues with my P8P67 Deluxe but I have read issues that some people needed their new BIOS update, (amazing they already have an update lol).

As for your previous computer problems, have you been using an anti-static wrist band when working on the computers? Replacing a video card shouldn't cause any problems but if you have static built up in your body and touch the wrong part of the motherboard or video card, then yea, you could easily fry some components. I'd recommend in getting a good anti-static wrist strap and follow good procedures by touching the computer case frequently to discharge any static electricity built up in your body. Also don't work on the computers over carpet, I've done this in the past myself and dodged some bullets in doing so, but it's good advice to avoid that situation ;)

I'd go ahead and wait for the new mobo and try again. Be patient when you build the system, don't rush anything. Good troubleshooting requires a lot of patience. I've had loads of issues pop up when building my Sandy Bridge PC as well, it just comes with the territory of building your own system. Unfortunately for me I think I shorted out a capacitor in my monitor while moving it around and this was given to me from a friend so I have no choice but to buy a new one, I wish I could just RMA it!

Hi New2TI,

Thanks for your reply. Ok, I suppose everyone and their brother knows now about Intel's discovery and plan to replace the defective #6 chips in the p67A/H67A motherboards. I am kinda happy that Intel has responded so well. My vendor has recommended I continue to use the GA P67A-UD3 motherboard I received with the Intel 2500K processor. They have promised to ship me a brand new rectified motherboard in late April to remedy the problem. Since only the SATA II ports are affected, I will simply use the two SATA III ports...one for my SSD, the other for my data HD. I'll hook up the DVD Rom to one of the SATA II ports and simply take me chances [only 5%-15% of the motherboards are expected to give SATA II trouble and only after significant use].

New2IT, thanks for your suggestion to use the wrist strap. I know I should have been using a wrist strap all along. Normally I simply ground myself to an earth ground here in my shop and I have never had a problem before. I finally decided to take the plunge and I purchased the wrist strap and the anti-static computer mat to lay my computer components out upon. It wasn't all the expensive and it really is better to be safe rather than sorry.

I have no carpet so that is kinda nice.

My most recent problem came when I discovered my Corsair H70 leaking Ethyl Glycol [see pic]. I found this to be most disturbing. Anyway, I have sent in a RMA request and I am certain Corsair will take good care of me.

Until I receive the RMA'd H70 in return, I suppose I am stuck right where I am.

Have a great day and thanks again for your encouragement to use the wrist strap.

Soar

Attachments

• H70 Leak Pic 1.jpg
    H70 Leak Pic 1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 2,578
Damm, up until looking at that picture I thought those things were pretty much safe to use. I was thinking of getting one myself, but...hmm...I don't know maybe I'll still risk it, supposedly Corsair will replace anything damaged in case it does leak...hopefully it didn't damage anything else in your system!

As for the wrist strap idea that's just been on my mind because my bedroom has so much static I'm paranoid about frying my system just from touching the power button. I have one of those carpet protectors for rolling chairs and I know that's the main cause....if this wasn't my place I'd say to he|| with the carpet I want to keep my PC safe lol Just last week I fried my thumbdrive just by setting the thing on my bed with the protecting cap left off....so yea I'm like a mouse in a test cube constantly being zapped by electricity so that stuff scares me now when working on computers lol

How did you notice your H70 was leaking? Did it leak a lot before you noticed it? Make any sounds? I'm still thinking of getting one myself, but that pic makes me a bit nervous!

Damm, up until looking at that picture I thought those things were pretty much safe to use. I was thinking of getting one myself, but...hmm...I don't know maybe I'll still risk it, supposedly Corsair will replace anything damaged in case it does leak...hopefully it didn't damage anything else in your system!

As for the wrist strap idea that's just been on my mind because my bedroom has so much static I'm paranoid about frying my system just from touching the power button. I have one of those carpet protectors for rolling chairs and I know that's the main cause....if this wasn't my place I'd say to he|| with the carpet I want to keep my PC safe lol Just last week I fried my thumbdrive just by setting the thing on my bed with the protecting cap left off....so yea I'm like a mouse in a test cube constantly being zapped by electricity so that stuff scares me now when working on computers lol

How did you notice your H70 was leaking? Did it leak a lot before you noticed it? Make any sounds? I'm still thinking of getting one myself, but that pic makes me a bit nervous!

New2IT,

Thanks for your reply. From the information I have gathered, the H70 springing a leak is nearly unheard of. Their tech support told me today there have been some issues with leaking but it is very, very rare.

I would say you are safe with an H70 unless you begin to read about other incidences...then it would be obvious they would be having a problem on the production line with something not produced correctly, something out of normal specs [i.e. over sized hose, under sized "L" bracket, etc.].

You may want to wait a couple of weeks and see if there suddenly comes a spike in RMA's of the H70. If so, they messed something up on the production line or manufacturing process.

You seem to have an abnormally large amount of static electricity in your locale. Which city do you reside in CA?

I remember years ago visiting Palm Springs, CA with my dad when we were looking for home investments and the levels of static electricity were absolutely amazing. We were consistently getting one half to three quarter's of an inch of static arcs [shocks] any time we walked across the carpet and touched the metal door. It actually caused pain because it was so strong. You could actually see the arc right there in from of you and for some of us, we became gun shy! I never forgot that because it was so unusual for us...apparently Palm Springs, CA has a static electricity phenomenon like that on a consistent basis. It was so strange...and I am not sure if it is the same today. I know it was in a desert area...

Anyway, have a great day and hope all goes well with you and your system!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom