BEST LAPTOP UNDER $5,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
you could get 4 laptops at $1,200.

Might want to look at iBuyPower. You get to select everything that goes into your laptop.

My recommendation is to stay away from Macs, I don't like how limited you are to upgrading it in the future as there is no real open market on Mac parts(means u have to buy from apple), I also find Macs are over priced and dont perform as fast as they could. I do agree with iFargle
If you're going to be moving the laptop around a lot (in a backpack or otherwise), I would say go with a MacBook Pro. They are very, very robust.
they do feel very well made and solid but I personally wouldnt choose one based on just that.
I like to go with ASUS, they have a great build quality and are backed up with a 2 year international warranty. Check out their gamers republic range, they look good, perform great and have a decent range to choose from

My recommendation is to stay away from Macs, I don't like how limited you are to upgrading it in the future as there is no real open market on Mac parts(means u have to buy from apple),

The only thing you can upgrade in a laptop is the RAM and the HDD, both of which you can upgrade in a mac with non apple made products.

I also find Macs are over priced and dont perform as fast as they could.
they seem over priced, but the main thing that people don't take into consideration are the things you get that aren't the main components. with the macbook pro's you get an IPS screen which is much higher quality than a TFT screen that you'll get on most other laptops, (i haven't seen any laptop's with an IPS screen other than the mac's but i haven't looked at every high end laptop) also the trackpad offers much more functionality than any other trackpad, whether you like it or not is a matter of opinion, but there's no argument that it's more functional than any other trackpad you can get. also unlike any other laptop the macbook pro's have 2 gpu's, one dedicated, one onboard, and you can switch from one to the other for power or battery life. a slim drive isn't something you see on a lot of laptop's, and also the charger. most laptop chargers are a big brick that doesn't pack up nicely, but the macbook's adapter packs up right around it and doesn't unwrap itself and get all over the place.

I'm not a mac fan boy, I'm just sick and tired of people always saying macbook's are over priced. Yes they are overpriced if you just look at the main components, cpu/gpu/ram/hdd, but there is a reason that it's pricier than a comparable powered laptop, and it's not just 'because it's a mac' or 'it looks pretty.'

as far as mac's not performing where they should, in superpi my mbp had the same times within .1s as these processors, E6400 @ 3.19GHz, E2180 @ 3.45GHz, Q6600 @ 2.85GHz (my mbp cpu is a p9550 @2.6ghz), and ran 3dmark06 with similar results to a e7200 and 8800gt 256mb. which as far as laptop's go isn't too shabby.

Bottom line with mac's, you pay more, but you get more little extra's, if they matter, that's up to you. if you the best power:price laptop then a mac's not for you.

I like to go with ASUS, they have a great build quality and are backed up with a 2 year international warranty. Check out their gamers republic range, they look good, perform great and have a decent range to choose from

ASUS make's very solid laptops as well, and as the OP mentioned the 2 year international warranty is a pretty good deal. and with a 5k budget you've got a lot of good options to choose from.

Also take a look at MSI's laptop's. they've got a lot of good features and are a very reputable for their laptops, not only their other products.

@boagz, I don't mean to sound like I'm calling you out or saying anything directly at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom