2 DSL Modems on 1 line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGum

Baseband Member
I want to buy a 2nd DSL modem to hook my Xbox into and am wondering if there are any complications in have more than 1 modem on 1 phone line. My Xbox is too far away to use the same gateway and wireless is too slow.

you cannot use two DSL at the same time. If you plug a second one in it will move the connection to that modem. You could keep one modem next to the computer and one next to the xbox and plug it in when you want to play, but that's very annoying and will get old fast.

Wireless is not slow. The connection between a wireless router and a wireless card is faster than your internet connection. If you have a wireless router and your DSL modem next to your xbox, you can run a cable from the router to the xbox and you'll need a wireless card for your computer. This is how I have my PS2 setup downstairs and the rest of the computers upstairs have wireless cards.

Unfortunately I'm short on cash and cant buy a wireless card for each of my computer. Would the Xbox still be quick enough running off of a wireless router?

You would not notcie any difference in your xbox speed. A standard DSL speed is about 320kbs (your actual speed is slower), while wireless 802.11b is 11Mbs!

Besides, you would have a cable from the modem to the router, then another cable from the router to the xbox. There would be nothing wireless about the xbox connection. Just understand that, even at the lowest wireless signal strength, your wireless connection will be faster than your internet connection could ever be.

Thanks for the information. I was told on some gaming forums that wireless was slow, but I'll trust you over them since most of them only know how to read so they can read the dialogue in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom