Laptop cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Abstract is actually very correct.

The part of desktops and laptops being worlds different that they cant be discussed is garbage. Sorry but it is true. They use the same parts. Laptops are just more form factor to fit into different sized cases. But yet we can have Apple Mac Mini's which are very much smaller than any Windows based Laptop and no one says a word about gaming on them. What about the Dell Optiplex which is about the same size as a Laptop? Maybe 2 laptops stacked. Yet people use them to game all the time. Same aspect using form factor parts. There are desktops out there that are very small indeed and use form factor parts just like laptops but are desktops..........

This was my argument but I had a very hard time putting it into words. But thanks Mak that was what I was looking for as far as confirmation on my theories.

I personally think that its the user's fault, I have had a few laptop and I have never had a problem with a failure from it overheating, for one usually they have built in protection to shut it down before it hits this point, and second I think it might be how they use it (playing on your lap vs playing on desktop, also how u take care of it. Making sure its clean malignant sure the fans actually kicking on. They make them for certain purposes and they should work to that extent, yes its no desktop with multiple fans but also if I was worried about it running hot and spent like 600$ on it i would invest another 25-30$ for a cooler.

Walmart & Best Buy laptops are notorious for these heat issues. I believe it has something to do with the lowest bidding dollar. HP did not think when they designed their heat sinks, probably had a couple hundred thousand laptops on hand and sold them cheap to walley world, I've opened up about a dozen of these and whenever I do, I put a 1" x 1" copper shim in and they haven't come back with heat issues. I've had to re-seat about 6 video chips due to over heating. (The DV 6000-9000 is what I'm talking about)

The main problem is getting them all back together and all the 1000 parts and screws. replacing all the ribbon cables because their made by the lowest bidding dollar as well and if they get a crossed wire, you get a toasted board.

I also have in my store a Qosmio x305, a consignment, and this thing doesn't even get warm compared to what my tx1000 does. I've got that one kicking out about 130 degrees with a thermal gun.

Basically, it's what you have for heat sinks and fans. I think that's why towers last much longer than laptops for gaming. Towers you have your processor with it's own big butt heat sink, your video cards in gaming pcs and even most personal computers have their own heat sink with a fan.

The Qosmio I have, a high end laptop, it's about an 8" by 1" by 2" condenser/heat sink on the back of it to keep it cool. No problems there.

I don't believe the retailer has anything to do with it. While yes they tend to carry cheaper models, wouldn't it being cheap be the says all that its not a good laptop. and Best Buy has as good of laptops as any considering they carry Asus G's and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom