Tell me what u think about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uneek26105

Solid State Member
Wish List TigerDirect.com PC Build

Ok this is my first build. This is a home computer used mainly for web, word processing, and my son likes to play some games. I had roughly $800 to work with. I'm asking the top dawgs of the tech world to help me out. All of this is compatible? Got any suggestions? Better, cheaper build? Any guidance would be appreciated. Like I said I'm brand new to this and I only know what I'm getting from the web which may or may not be right. I plan on ordering this within the next month. Thanks in advance for the advice.:grin:

You need a video card. I will suggest you a build in a few minutes.
Also, what kind of games are going to be played? browser games? modern games? older pc games?
If you could list any games that your son plays, it would help in determing the correct video card.

that hard drive is really more suited to storage, not applications and dont cheap out on your power supply; ive never heard of that kind...

Honestly not sure what games he plays but I know the comp I have right now can't handle them but **** it's 8 yrs old. I've done the best I could with it to keep it running smoothly. He's not a serious gamer yet but I'm sure as time goes on he will be in no time. I did have a video card in that list but I didnt think it was the best deal and I left that area open for suggestion. Alot of the time the comp is used for browser games but my son i'm sure would be more into modern games if the system could handle it. I compiled that list before i joined the forum. As far as the budget goes obviously the easier you are on my wallet the better. But i don't wanna sacrifice performance. Open to any and all suggestions. Hit me with what you got I'm open.

Well, to be honest, most modern games that I know of are first person shooter games. I can't think of any graphic intensive games for children. When I get some more time, I will adjust the list to better suit your needs, so far it is overkill for what you will be using it for.
Also, do you download a lot of files? If not then you shouldn't need but 1T max. However, I believe 500GB or 640GB will suffice.

Yes I do download files. I def need storage space. I have one usb TB drive and its already half full. And my son is into first person shooter games. I know he plays the Halo series games on the xbox. I haven't told him about the pc version yet. If I did I would have a heck of a time getting on my pc.lol Thoughts on maybe building him a budget gaming pc and also building a budget general use pc? General use pc under $500 would be great. Any recommendations? Barebones? I usually buy from tiger direct because I've ran into alot of problems with delivery from newegg.

As of right now the comp I have
Asus A7V8X-MX SE onboard video and audio used
AMD ATHLON XP 2000+ (single core)
GIG DDR MEMORY
80GIG WD HD
450W PSU
It was built about 8yrs ago.Case is lookin pretty rough.
Internet games are slow.I store all my movies, pics, music on my external TB drive. For an older comp its seems to run smooth but I notice a difference anytime I use a newer machine.Upgrade suggestions? Should I just by a new case and max out the ram at 2gigs?Or should I go ahead and just build a new computer for general use.

Firstly... That wasn't too bad of a go. Btw you had a video card. And the Corsair cx is cheap crap.

Your current setup is pretty outdated. Especially being a older single core, which is where you'll notice it the most. It's time for anm update if you can afford it.

Like I said good try building... However, changes I'd do is like above said, The drive is a "green" drive. Which is slow and shuts down to save power. Grab a Blue or Black labled drive.
You don't need Pro version of Win7, the non-pro is just fine.

i'd dump the quad if you want to save more, though the quads nice for future uses...

You can easily build something up at under $600, and depending on your mobo choice, you shouldn't need a dedicated video card yet.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600C9ELV4GK
Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - LG Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

That above is $438 but no case or gpu. I don't choose cases as those are your choice. As i said you can easily run the onboard for A few years then upgrade.

being a quad core you'll be good for yrs.. or until the gamjes get much more intense.

Guys thank you very much for all your help. Most times noobs just get laughed away, dissed, or cold shoulder. I thank you very much. And if anyone has any more suggestions I'm all ears.

You'll be banned for laughing at "noobs"

Everyone has to start somewhere.

As for suggestions... Those that usually suggest builds like great things... By going to a dual core, aka x2, you'll save even more cash... So I think you need to sit an determine what you really need, a budget and then start building.

Most folks can get away with a dual core, but we always seem, to build quads.... its the crazy in us that does it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom