FPS problems after installing SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
memoryp.jpg

1) This is your CPU VCore Voltage, at stock settings it should be between 1.2v to 1.25v. In your bios make sure you have the following Disabled:
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)
C3/C6/C7 State Support
CPU EIST Function
CPU Thermal Monitor

Make sure you have the Load-Line Calibration - Enabled

2) This is your DRAM Voltage, it should be at 1.65volts. Yours is running way to high, this is a serious problem. If your memory is having problems you don't raise the DRAM Voltage, you raise the Memory Controller Voltage. You adjust the Memory Controller Voltage with the QPI/Vtt Voltage adjustment.

3) These voltages are low and/or fluctuating. It could be a power supply or your motherboard may be reporting them wrong or the power circuitry on the motherboard may be dying. You had this running at 4+GHz previously? You may have degraded or slightly damaged the board if your settings weren't optimized.

4) Your Memory Latency Settings are way off, they are off bad enough to cause Problems. They should be 8-8-8-24-41-2T

5) Your motherboard is a X58A-UD3R version 1

6) Your bios version is F5 (and this matches the ver.1 above^, ver.2 has no F5).
There are (2) new bios updates for your mobo:
F7g - Beta Bios (I would skip this for now)
F6 - Enhance CPU, DDR, PCIex16/x8 compatibility - USB3.0 chip legacy support -Enhanced SATA3 RAID mode

I would update to F6
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1.0)

memoryp.jpg

1) This is your CPU VCore Voltage, at stock settings it should be between 1.2v to 1.25v. In your bios make sure you have the following Disabled:
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)
C3/C6/C7 State Support
CPU EIST Function
CPU Thermal Monitor

Make sure you have the Load-Line Calibration - Enabled

2) This is your DRAM Voltage, it should be at 1.65volts. Yours is running way to high, this is a serious problem. If your memory is having problems you don't raise the DRAM Voltage, you raise the Memory Controller Voltage. You adjust the Memory Controller Voltage with the QPI/Vtt Voltage adjustment.

3) These voltages are low and/or fluctuating. It could be a power supply or your motherboard may be reporting them wrong or the power circuitry on the motherboard may be dying. You had this running at 4+GHz previously? You may have degraded or slightly damaged the board if your settings weren't optimized.

4) Your Memory Latency Settings are way off, they are off bad enough to cause Problems. They should be 8-8-8-24-41-2T

5) Your motherboard is a X58A-UD3R version 1

6) Your bios version is F5 (and this matches the ver.1 above^, ver.2 has no F5).
There are (2) new bios updates for your mobo:
F7g - Beta Bios (I would skip this for now)
F6 - Enhance CPU, DDR, PCIex16/x8 compatibility - USB3.0 chip legacy support -Enhanced SATA3 RAID mode

I would update to F6
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1.0)

1: I have all of those things disabled. I will have to check but I believe the load line is set to standard. I think I have the vcore on auto.

2: I never did change the dram voltage. It is set on auto.

3: IIRC, those numbers have been like that since day one. I think it is just an inaccurate reading. I will check the bios. You say I could have degraded the board, do you mean the motherboard or the PSU board? I checked the bios and it is showing the correct numbers. Unless something happens once Windows is loaded to cause those numbers to drop, the software is not reading it right.

4: Ok, why is it showing two sets of numbers?

5: So what does that mean?

6: Yeah I know I need to update the bios. What is the best way to update the bios? Do I need to be at stock settings?

Since I took that screen shot, I have made some changes mainly to the memory. I have the memory multiplier set to auto this time and things are looking better. I will post a new screen shot. Maybe I need to take a shot of the bios as well.

Now since I made those changes, BFBC2 is running like it should be. I am getting the normal FPS. But I still can not get Linx to run. It runs fine on stock settings.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

According to you, the memory timings are still a little off. This is the part where overclocking confuses me. What speed should the memory be running at, the timings and the mhz?

Here are the pics of the bios:

Another thing I should mention is Intel told me that my ram is not compatible with my cpu. They said it only supports 1066mhz and 1.5 volts. Is this true and if so, should I be running at those speeds.

Okay, that is no problem.

Another update, I am running at 3.56ghz and 1068mhz for the ram right now with the timings at 8-8-8-20-60-1. When I try to set the timings to what you said, 8-8-8-24-41-2, it will not boot.

I am assuming I need it to get the memory to run an 1066mhz?

BTW, I got Linx to work. I had to download a compressed file of Linx and it works now. The other one was a .exe file.

I will post a another screen shot with Linx and HWmonitor running and the cpu-z tabs as well.

I have also been having a stuttering problem when playing BFBC2. It does not do it every time but sometimes it will stutter for a few seconds then it will be fine. I have a feeling it has to do with the overclock settings. Hopefully once I get this straightened out, this problem will go away.

Thanks for your help Slaymate.

Here is the screen shot:
[URL=http://img844.imageshack.us/i/48801581.png/] Uploaded with [/URL]ImageShack.us

I have read through that guide a few times. The memory part is what confuses me.

In the bios, it shows a memory speed of 1066mhz in the left column, this can't be changed. When overclocking, am I supposed to keep the memory speed as close to that number as possible?

What is the best way to update the bios? Gigabyte offers a program that allows to do it within Windows. Would that be fine?

Once I get these settings straightened out, I will turn it back to stock and upgrade the bios.

tempzy.jpg

This screen is showing the speeds and latencies that are in effect.

The 1st thing to know is that you are using DDR memory. DDR is Double Data Rate or:

(Double)2x DRAM Frequency(Data Rate)

Your memory is presently running at:

2 x 534 = 1068 MHz

You want to be at:

2 x 800 = 1600 MHz

Next, FSB : DRAM is your "Memory Ratio", which is presently at (2:6). The number we want to focus on is the (6), this is our "memory multiplier". The BCLK (cpu-z calls this the bus speed), yours is at 178, times the memory multiplier equals your DRAM Frequency.

178 x 6 = 1068 MHz

You want to be at one of these to run your memory at 1600 MHz:

133 x 12 = 1596 MHz
160 x 10 = 1600 MHz
200 x 8 = 1600 MHz

All of the other settings in the screenshot are your memory latencies. They are presently set to 6-8-8-20-60-1T. They should be set to:

8-8-8-24-41-2T with the DRAM Voltage set to 1.65 volts.

If the system fails to post at (160 x 10 = 1600) raise your CPU Vcore Voltage to 1.25v and your QPI/Vtt Voltage to 1.2 to 1.3 volts

If the system fails to post at (200 x 8 = 1600) raise your CPU Vcore Voltage to 1.325v and your QPI/Vtt Voltage to 1.3 to 1.4 volts

Post a screenshot of your results.

Ok, explain this to me. In the bios, it shows the number 1066mhz in the left column for the memory speed. Why is it showing that number?

I was told by Intel that the ram is not compatible with my cpu. The cpu only supports up to 1066mhz. So is it possible that it will not run at 1600mhz at all?

I will try to change those settings in a bit and post a screen shot.

Another question, is it possible to run the cpu at, for example, 3.76ghz? Can I run the cpu at any speed I want to or does it need to be a certain speed so that the memory is at a certain speed? I hope I made that clear enough to understand.

Ok, I set the cpu to 3.2ghz using 160 base clock. I set the memory multiplier to 10x which put the memory at 1600mhz. I changed the memory timings to what you said, 8-8-8-24-41-2. I changed the cpu voltage to one notch above 1.20 and the dram voltage to 1.64, there was no option for 1.65. I changed the qpi/vtt voltage to 1.2.

When I restart it, I get a message saying system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking. Windows still starts up but everything is at stock settings.

Now you might say up the cpu voltage but I believe this has something to do with the memory running at 1600mhz. Maybe my cpu doesn't like the memory to be at 1600mhz. Could that be a possibility? I am going to try it again and leave the timings alone and see what happens.

After upping the cpu voltage to 1.25 and setting the timings to auto, I can not get it to boot properly. I have the memory set to 1280mhz and everything is fine. I can pass Linx with the memory at 1280. I just can't seem to get it to run at 1600mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom