Overclocking my i5 750 again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
I'm kind of a newb to overclocking and in the past I've increased the FSB and set everything else to auto. From what I understand the best thing to do is to lower the CPU multiplier and find the highest possible FSB speed then increase the CPU multiplier as high as it can go. I'd also like to know what safe voltages are for my CPU/MoBo. My Specs are in my sig.

Thanks in advance

I used the settings that you suggested in your first post in that thread. Ran Intel Burn Test and got an error. I did drop the RAM down to 1.2v rather than 1.3v because you said in that post that because he has more RAM he will require more voltage. I also noticed that you suggested for him to change his RAM timings because he couldn't get his RAM down to 1066 and I'm having the same issue. My RAM is different than his so I'm not sure what to do.

here is a screenshot I took:

I spent countless hours overclocking my i5 760 and I can tell you that if you're getting an error that quickly, you need to raise your Vcore. I would not suggest that because your temps are already pretty high and you've only been through 2 runs of burn test. If you get errors after ten minutes, which would be about 8 runs for your settings in the SS, then you have to raise your Vtt/IMC volts. Raise only one voltage at a time so you know which stabilized it. Always increase/decrease the voltages in the smallest increment possible.

Your RAM is set to 1200 MHz. You want this at 1600 for sure. With a FSB of 200, I'm not sure why it's not at 1600. I'll go check my BIOS settings....
Edit: Okay, there should be an option: DRAM Frequency - Manually set this to DDR3-1600. To lower your CPU clock and maintain your RAM clock at the same time, lower your CPU ratio.
My settings look like this:
BCLK: 200
CPU Ratio: 19
DRAM Freq: 1600

This gives me 3.8 GHz + 1600 MHz.

I was able to achieve 3.8 GHz with 1.26250 Vcore and 1.22 Vtt/IMC. My temps hit 72*C MAX after 50 runs of maximum stress of intel burn test. My chip just can't hit 4.0 GHz until I set the Vcore to 1.31875 and that causes my temps to hit the low 80s. I would suggest staying under 75*C at the absolute max during intel burn test for a 24/7 OC.

Feel free to ask any questions because I was clueless before I started too!

Hello, 35g700!

I am running my RAM at 1600.
CPU Ratio: 20
CPU Voltage: 1.29375
IMC: 1.22

But, it all depends on your board.

The Windows Task Manager screen means nothing, we need to see the cpu-z screens - cpu, memory, spd, mainboard.

Speaking of the mainboard, exactly what motherboard are you using. I can only give you the most basic advise right now. If I knew what mobo your using I could download the manual and see most of the bios options you have available.

If LinX is failing in the 1st minute or two you probably need to raise the CPU Vcore Voltage. Your at 1.3125v right now, according to cpu-z & HWMonitor. Raise this up to 1.325v and make sure Load-Line Calibration is enabled.

And your ram speed is only at 1204 MHz instead of 1600 MHz. You need to change the DRAM Frequency Setting up one notch higher than it is already. And set the IMC Voltage to 1.3 volts to start with. We can start lowering voltages after we get it running.

And post a link to the exact memory kit you bought.

Alright, I'll try that.

Memory: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

Mainboard: Newegg.com - ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Thanks for the help so far by the way.

EDIT:

Just ran 20 passes of LinX with increased voltages and RAM at 1600. Temps did get up to 75ºC which kind of worries me because right now its cold here, and it will get hotter later on. I will be getting some Tuniq TX-2 soon so that should cut temps by a slight bit.

I'm gonna run LinX overnight and see what happens.

EDIT2:

After starting another run of LinX I got another error...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom