Atom - fan = cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I found one of my Noctua resistors. It brought the fan noise down.

Right now, the CPU is running at 54C. Internal temp 39C.

That normal for an Atom? Hence the small fan, anyhow.

edit: OK, I ran it overnight. the temps only went up by 2C. I think I'm OK now... Just waiting for the new case, see what happens.

Just thinking out loud. Should I keep fiddling with this thing, or should I just get a new Atom mini-ITX board? I see the ASUS one has one very large heatsink, covering the NB, SB, and CPU. That, IMO, would cool better than little dinghy piece of alloy.

This is the one that caught my eye. Newegg.com - ASUS AT5NM10-I Intel Atom D510 BGA559 Intel NM10 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

I'll look elsewhere, and be buying this later, just a future possibility.

Can I ask why you would need to overclock on a server? Unless it is beneficial for moving files, I suppose.

Edit: But then I'd have to get new RAM, but I see a 1GB stick of DDR3 1066 is only $12-16

Also, is that fan 40mm?

In my world faster is always better. Ram is cheap, someone always has some used stuff for sale. I would find a way to use a larger quieter fan.

Since those have the "holes", would it be easier to find a larger profile HS? Not as in a tower, but wider, something that can spread out the heat better.

Does DDR3 800mhz, mean that's what it will run at? I don't see any 800mhz standard sticks.

I'd say just get 800Mhz. Put a little OC on it if you want, but yeah at the end of the day if all you're gonna be doing on it is running solitare 24/7 then IMO it's not really needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom