Laptop vs desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo240591

Beta member
I wanna spend about $2500 on a computer, but I don't know which way to go. I'm in aus so prices and gst(goods and service tax) and lack of supply often screw me.

So this is what I came up with
a) Laptop
ASUS G73SW-A1 with a 60GB SSD and 3yr warranty
$2597
ASUS G73SW laptop notebook - G73SW-FHD-TZ016V - G73SW-A1 - 17.3 inch gaming laptop with GTX 460M

b) desktop

BitFenix Colossus Black Gaming Case, NO PSU PreorderETA $189.00

CoolerMaster 1000W Silent Pro Gold Modular PreorderETA $269.00

Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler [4] PreorderETA $108.00

ntel Core i7 2600K 32nm CPU
Model#:btt3-BX80623I72600K $389.00

Samsung SH-B123A 12x Blu-ray/DVD Combo Drive [4] $89.00

OCZ 120G Vertex II E Series SSD [14] PreorderETA $275.00

Western Digital 2TB Black 64MB SATAII WD2001FASS [4] Instock $209.00

Kingston 8GB(2 X 4GB) DDR3-1333MHZ PC10600 [2] $115.00

Asus P8P67 EVO L1155 P67 4x DDR3 SATA3 SATA2 eSATA RAID USB3.0 Firewire 2xGLAN CrossFire/SLI $255.00

eVGA GTX570 SC1280Mb PCI Expresss PreorderETA $449.00

note: I intend to get another 570 if i go with this laptop just so I wont have upgrade again for a while.

Which way should I go?
The big dilemma is power vs mobility and I understand that but frankly I'm torn between the two of them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and any constructive criticism on my build/choice of laptop would also be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Well you really have to ask yourself if you need mobility. Will this be for work that requires having a computer on hand at all times? If so, I would recommend going with a laptop...will this be for school where you may or may not need a laptop for use in the classroom? If so, I would recommend choosing the laptop.

From my perspective, Mobility is only necessary if you really need it. If you are only torn between mobility and power because mobility is more convenient, then I would choose power over mobility.

I say this because desktops have a lot more options. You can choose what you want to build your computer, and if you want to upgrade, you can upgrade at any time. I'm not saying upgrading a laptop is impossible, but it is much more difficult than upgrading a desktop computer. The graphics card in that laptop is a good one, but graphics cards in the world of technology become outdated very quickly. It's unfortunate but true, and as I stated before, it is much more difficult to upgrade a laptop than it is a desktop. Actually, I'm not sure that you can upgrade the GPU in a laptop.

Also, when gaming, laptops tend to generate a lot more heat, and heat is the death of electronics, whether that death be immediate or progressive. If you have a good case with plenty of potential places for fans...then desktops can provide plenty more ventilation and last longer than a laptop.

So, in summary, I would choose the laptop if it is absolutely necessary for work/school....however, if you believe it is not absolutely necessary and you just plan to use the computer for gaming or your own personal use...I would recommend a desktop without a doubt.

In the end, I believe this is a decision you will probably make on your own, but that is my opinion. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom