Heatsink screw not catching...

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
I'm in the process of putting on the watercooling block for my chipset, and only four of the five screws are "catching", i.e., staying in place. The other one just falls out. I inspected all of the screw-holes, and one of them is not 100% threaded; the thread only goes about 75% of the way up, and that last 25% happens to be where the screw should catch, so it's like I'm just putting the screw in a blank hole.

Does anyone know what type of filler I could use to hold the screw in place? Obviously, I'd need something that doesn't melt easily, and something that will bond to the heatsink (which is nickel-plated copper). Otherwise, I'm going to have to send the thing back for replacement :(

i'd send it back rather than mess with it. personally I'd rather have my watercooling setup work how it should rather than have to ghetto-rig it up from day 1.

I hear you...

Maybe I should try the next size of screw; the threads are there, so if I can reach them without having to really tighten it, that might work. All they are doing is keeping the block attached to the motherboard, so I don't think it is critical to have a perfect fit.

You can put a screw in upside down??? lol

No, it's literally a millimeter away from being where it needs to be. I think a slightly longer screw might work.

You should get all 4 screws "started" before you tighten any of them. The screw you are having problems with, start it 1st and then start the others.

You should get all 4 screws "started" before you tighten any of them. The screw you are having problems with, start it 1st and then start the others.

I'm one of those people who will screw something in 10% of the way, then go do the others 10%, then go back to the first and get it 20% in, etc.. I'm really anal about it because I once broke something (it was so long ago that I can't remember what it was) by overtightening a screw. But I don't know if I tried the one that isn't catching first, so I'll go back and do it again. Otherwise, it's a trip to the hardware store to see it they have one that is just a tad longer.

I didn't mean the screw lol, i meant the back plate.

The chipset waterblock doesn't use a blackplate.

I went to the hardware store, and the local Frye's Electronics, and neither had a screw that would work. I called FrozenCPU (the people who sold it to me); they need me to take a picture, but from the sound of it, it shouldn't be too hard for them to find a screw that is a little longer (this was their guy's first instinct, so it sounds like I was on the right track).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom