FPS problems after installing SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I am now using an SSD, look in sig, and now whenever I play BFBC2, I get really low FPS. Before I installed the SSD, I was using a WD Caviar Black 500gb and I was getting 60+ most of the time. Now with the SSD, I am getting in the lower 30's and mid to upper 20's. I have even turned the settings to low and didn't help that much. I am running at 1680x1050 and I am pretty sure that is what I was running at before.

In fact, the loading time in BFBC2 is quite a bit longer too with the SSD. This is the exact opposite of what it should be.

I have the game installed on the SSD. The only thing I am doing different is I have a few other programs installed on the second standard hard drive. I don't know why that would affect the game. I am also using a Dock but that shouldn't affect anything either. There are no known issues with the SSD. According to CrystalDiskInfo, it is 100% healthy and the temp is 30 degrees. I thought SSD's were supposed to run cooler too. My other standard drives hovers right 25 degrees. I have not changed any other hardware.

The only thing I can think of is before I was running the cpu at stock speeds. Now I am overclocked to 3.2ghz and the ram is at 1600mhz I am completely stable, I can pass IBT with no problems. Maybe there is some setting that is causing issues. I might try to post some screen shots.

Could AHCI be affecting this?

Yes, it could be AHCI. Never heard of that being a problem, but when all else logic fails... Have the latest gfx drivers as before, I presume?

It turns out the overclock was causing the problem. I turned it back to stock settings leaving turbo enabled, I was getting in the 70's and 80's in BFBC2 with everything on high.

So either SSD's do not like overclocks for whatever reason or I had a setting wrong. I am hoping it is the wrong setting. At least it is not the AHCI setting.

*cough* I have my i7 760 @ 4.0ghz. I see no problems. I play SC2. It just might be an unsafe OC, you should of just lessen the OC by a hair.

So either SSD's do not like overclocks for whatever reason or I had a setting wrong.

You jumped to the wrong conclusion in your 1st post, in this thread. So your going to finish it up by sticking to your guns and jumping to another bad conclusion.

When you start your game up the SSD is accessed and it sends the data to your memory. Once the game is loaded into the memory the SSD is no longer in the picture until you start or load a saved game. When you select your starting point the SSD will again be accessed and it will load all the required files into your system memory and when its finished/stopped you'll start playing. Until you save the game or complete a mission/reach a waypoint/finish a scene, the SSD has nothing to do with your gameplay.

One reason your SSD would be accessed while your playing is under a low memory condition and the SSD is being accessed as a page file. If this is happening then you may need to patch the game. You should also move the page file to a std. HDD if possible, if you haven't already.

I know ATI has recently released a new driver and they have also followed it up with a Hotfix. If your using, or not using this driver and or the hotfix it could be causing your problems.

Windows Update may have installed a update or driver (for any component) that is conflicting with another driver/component.

You could have malware/spyware or a virus. Yesterday you couldn't get the Windows Experience Index to run and now your game isn't working right. It sounds like you have a system conflict and it could be Windows, a driver, a update or even an obscure program that may have replaced a commonly used .dll file.

If something is wrong with a hardware component I would suspect your memory, motherboard or you may need a bios flash. And having the "newest or latest bios" isn't always the best bios for every different system configuration. I have the EVGA Classified E760 motherboard with a i7 920, every bios released for it since the 980X was released has resulted in a reduction of performance or system stability problems for me. I'm using bios version 44 and the newest for my board is 77.

Last but not least, you have a i7 920 and the Noctua NH-D14 and a 3.2GHz overclock is causing you problems? It sounds like you have something wrong. What are your temperatures? Post a HWMonitor screenshot. What motherboard are you using and why don't you have it listed in your sig? Post some screenshots of CPU-Z (all the tabs). You used Intel Burn Test to test for stability? Use LinX instead. Run LinX for 20 minutes (not 75) with the "ALL" button enabled, with HWMonitor running (post this HWMonitor screensot).
linxo.jpg

This is obviously a problem with my overclock settings. I have it at stock settings right now and BC2 works great. I am thinking it has to do with the memory settings. I had it running at 1600mhz.

I do not believe this is a Windows or software issue as the game runs perfectly fine at stock settings. I do not have any viruses, all scans came up clean.

I will check on the page file, I think I made it smaller but I don't think I moved it to the second drive.

It has been a while since I updated the motherboard bios so I may check into that. I am always kind of scared when I go to flash the bios, I am afraid I will mess something up.

I would be willing to bet that I have something wrong with the overclock. Before I got my SSD, I was overclocked to 4.2ghz with no problems like this. I thought my motherboard was listed, I will update the sig. I am using a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R.

Here is a screen shot from when I was at 3.2ghz
http://www.techist.com/forums/[URL=...5246/27684398.png[/IMG][/URL] Uploaded with Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see my temps are fine. I will put it back to 3.2ghz and run Linx. What type of software do I need to run Linx?

Your old screenshot is useless, we dealing with the present. All you need to run LinX is LinX itself, but you need to have HWMonitor running at the same time.

Your game runs fine at the stock settings, is the WEI also working at the stock settings?

Just because things appear to be "fine" at the stock settings that doesn't mean you don't have a problem. At lower stress levels a compatibility issue may not rise to the surface and just because it hasn't surfaced doesn't mean it's not there.

When I overclock it to 3.2ghz, Linx will not do anything. It will not put the cpu under load. When at stock settings, Linx works fine.

WEI does not work at stock settings.

Here is a screen shot when overclocked to 3.2ghz:
[URL=http://img62.imageshack.us/i/capturecaj.png/] Uploaded with [/URL]ImageShack.us

I don't know why but using Photobucket, I can not get the pics to be big enough to read. Normally I would use Photobucket instead of Imageshack. Is there a different one I should be using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom