Do i need a new heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tOny mOnt4n4

In Runtime
I am currently running an amd 2500 oc to 3200 with stock heatsink. I have 7 case fans installed ( not including power supply fan and processer fan.) my processer usually idles at 55C (in bios) is that healthy or would a new heatsink help A LOT in terms of cooling and processer life? thanks;)

Well what hsf do you have on it right now? Is it the stock hsf, or something else? I have the thermaltake silent boost, it works nicely with my 3200, its always under 39c. But look for a good solid copper hs, that is key, as well as some good thermal paste.

You don't read too well AND_YOU_ARE....read his first sentence....
I am currently running an amd 2500 oc to 3200 with stock heatsink.

Idling at 55C is way too high especially if you are overclocking...I got 9 case fans, 1 CPU Fan, and 2 in the PSU ;) I got a 35w 2400+ XP-M OC'd up to 2.7GHz right now, 45C Full load and thats generally with my fans not even turned up full blast....stays around 30C idle and will get down to 25C at nights....BUT I also have the SLK-900A fully copper heatsink, Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound and an 80mm Vantec Tornado (loud as hell)

So yeah....if you're sitting IDLE at 55C then what is your full load temps? Regardless though that's too damn high IMO especially if you are overclocking. Generally the rule is never use the stock heatsink for overclocking. You really should look into aftermarket heatsinkage.

What would be the best heatsink and thermal paste for a decent price? Im not sure if i need an amd 2500 heatsink or amd 3200 or are all XP heatsinks the same? also how do i check my temp when not in bios?

usually the mobo comes with temp monitoring software, but you can also use motherboard monitor 5, that's what I use...also you don't look for 'AMD 2500+ XP heatsink" thatd be way too many heatsinks for them to produce...what kind of chip is it?? Socket A...so hence you look for a SOCKET A heatsink not a heatsink for a particular processor...it's gotta fit the socket after all...

What's a 'decent' price considered? That's a vague term, things like that are subjective...cheap for me could mean $5,000,000 for a heatsink made of diamonds so you need to specify a budget...also look at what I listed...

SLK-900A Made by Thermalright...awesome heatsink, made completely of copper and takes 75mm fans, 80mm, and 92mm fans and even the high performance fans (high performance fans are 80x38 instead of a normal fan is 80x25 so as you can see the high performance are thicker) and yes it supports up to a maximum of a high performance 92mm fan at 92x38.

The absolute best thermal compound to get is Arctic Silver 5 but is pretty expensive...not only that but you absolutely have to put it on correctly...it's made like 99% of silver and WILL conduct electricity if you happen to get this paste on connectors or something

For the heatsink i was thinking around $20 because thats what my friend said a good one was, i dont need an amazing one just one that will keep my processer a bit cooler ( under 50 preferably ) also i was suprised with the thermal paste being only 10 bucks i can deal with that. how much will the paste help if i add it to my current cpu? PS i underclocked my cpu to 166 fsb in the meantime =)

$20 will definitely get you better than stock...I believe my SLK-900A is like $29 so perhaps you should look into that, cause this thing works pretty damn good. Also yeah, it's $10 for a pretty small tube that's what I meant by expensive, but you can get quite a few uses out of a small tube so unless you're taking apart and putting in CPU's all day long you really don't need more than a 3.5 gram tube...that's how much I've got and I've used it like...8 times now and I knows theres still plenty left..it barely takes any to cover the CPU.....

yes you definitely need to get your CPU under 50 if you can and have 55C your full load and that being under something like prime95 and even then for my personal pref that is kind of high....my 2400+ XP with an aftermarket heatsink and a jerry rigged fan setup on the CPU is running at 55C Idle, but that's not my main machine and I believe that chip of mine tends to run hot, with stock heatsink it was up at 64C idle! So god knows what it was at during gaming...yeesh..

Also....concerning the paste...don't think that it'll just drop your temps like that *snap!* :p the stuff takes 200 hours of 'burn in' time before it reaches it's complete stableness or 'homeostasis' I suppose you could say...so it takes a good week or two and then generally you can see a decline in temps usually like 2-3C at the most I've ever heard of someone getting is 5C which is pretty rare...you really aren't banking on the compound to get the good temps but more the heatsink..then the fan, then the compound, that's the list of importance in my opinion....

I don't know how much it'd help simply adding the compound to your CPU now, but I know it wouldn't be enough, best you'd see is 52C idle probably after it's burned in a little, besides that your stock heatsink will have a thermal pad on it and you don't want to put thermal compound on a CPU if the heatsink you're going to put on it has a thermal pad on it.

That fan doesn't have a very high CFM on it...I've never heard of Ultra making heatsinks, I know of Ultra PSU's which are good, but I really couldn't tell you about the heatsinks. All heatsinks come with a patch of thermal grease, but that grease is generic crap basically....

You'd get much better cooling if you had something like the SLK-900A

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-109-011&depa=0

Right there it's $45....which is unbelievable considering I paid $24.99 for it at newegg so snap......that option might not be as feesable as I had originally thought. I know I've seen it for cheaper, you might have to do some searching. But other than that you're on the right track....solid copper base is definitely what you want to look for.

but also look for one that has a high CFM fan like the Volcano 12+ heatsink and fan (that would provide good cooling plus comes with a fan controller I believe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom