Atom - fan = cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waterblocks are pretty heavy for thermal tape and a thermal adhesive/epoxy is a permanent option, and as such it would be my last option.

You should be able to buy some small eyehook bolts, see images below, and either bend the eye open or cut it open. And then you need to make a strap out of a piece of "hard" plastic or a "stiff" piece of metal.

eye1j.jpg
eye2u.jpg
eye3.jpg

having a little water cooled server would be really cool! both figuratively and literally. haha. Chances are you wouldn't even need a fan on the radiator

AFAIK, it doesn't need to be cooled THAT much. I mean, a 33mm fan, or passively, should be the same effect.

Although, a little water cooled server would be fun.

Edit: Slay, would a J-bolt work, too? Where would I find this plastic/metal strap? Is there something between adhesive and regular grease?

Oh darn it... I got confused here.

board.png.jpg

North bridge is on the left. The CPU is the one that has the fan on it, between the NB and SB. My, do I feel dumb...

I have found a couple NB/CPU water blocks that include a clip. The Thermaltake WB 200 NB block, for example. If I can get blocks for both, that would be awesome.

Edit: Slay, would a J-bolt work, too? Where would I find this plastic/metal strap? Is there something between adhesive and regular grease?

A J-bolt? It should work if it fits the clips on the mobo.

Where would you find this "hard" plastic or metal strap? You'll have to make it out of something.
(you maybe able to use the clip that comes with your stock heatsink)

Is there something between adhesive and regular paste? Not that I know of.

Slay, please read my last post.

Will the Thermaltake WB 200 work on my CPU? It has a very small diode. I'll have to look up the price, tho.

edit: saw that was discontinued, nevermind...

IMO watercooling might be a bit extreme. One thing you could do is use the small 33mm fan, then whack a resistor on the line to slow things down a little if it's too loud. As mentioned already, you don't need much airflow, so even if you cut the fan down to a quarter of its speed it should be fine.

Splice it onto the 5v (or 12v, whatever you're using) wire connecting to the fan. You'll need to either calculate the correct value by dividing the voltage by the current used by the fan OR (and this is easier) buy a Potentiometer and splice that in.
A Potentiometer is like an adjustable resistor, so you can connect it up then turn the knob until the fan is going as fast/slow as you want. Basically means you don't have to make any calculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom