Sandy Bridge K series Overclocking Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspire

The Water Cooling Guru
Well after picking up a 2500K to go with my DP67BG board from Intel, I have to say, overclocking this thing feels like I'm cheating.

Because the cpu does not allow for nearly any changes to the bus speeds you're left with cranking the multi. So, after spending about 5 minutes constantly raising mine, I've gotten it to run at 4.4ghz in turbo mode. Resulting in a SuperPi time of 9.017 seconds.

Does anyone know how to prevent the processor from clocking down when it is idle? I feel like I could improve the time a bit if there was no delay in jumping from 1.6ghz at idle to 4.4ghz at load.

Feel free to share your experiences with these chips and any thoughts you might have about them.

Turn C states off and power/thermal protection. Also, everyone was warned about the locked bus so really nothing to complain about. I've been clocking FSB style since 486 (mmm jumpers....**** that) and I'll be glad when I can go back to multi tuning. Toying with the 940, 720, and 955BE where nice in the short while it lasted for me.

Well I turned C-state off and it's still doing it. Where are those power/thermal protection settings found?

Intel Speedstep or it might be called EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology).

From some of the reviews I've read, some companies aren't making these options adjustable as they don't effect the system like they use to (or so it is claimed). I'm not going to rush into the SandyBridge like I did with the 920, I'm waiting a few weeks/months until the really good stuff starts coming out.

Intel Speedstep or it might be called EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology).

From some of the reviews I've read, some companies aren't making these options adjustable as they don't effect the system like they use to (or so it is claimed). I'm not going to rush into the SandyBridge like I did with the 920, I'm waiting a few weeks/months until the really good stuff starts coming out.

Well I found out how to turn off speedstep, but I guess doing so turns off the speed boost and for whatever reason I can't raise the non turbo multi despite this being a K chip... Gotta love Intel motherboards...

Are you on liquid cooling or just air?

Air cooling for the time being. My computer is flying up with me to February's PDXLAN up in Portland and I didn't think the TSA would approve of complete computer, so I'm checking an empty case and carrying all the other components onboard with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom