AS SSD/HDD Benchmark Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
11602 | ceatc0 | 10GB RamDisk (Kingston 1333MHz DDR3 ECC REG @ 1066MHz)

It is so amazing to see how the speed of mass storage is getting close to RAM speed these days. RAM is now only 20-30 times faster than SSD. Because I am using "Registered" memory modules (mainly used by servers), they are 1 clock slower than "Unregistered" memory modules (mainly used by desktops and workstations). So the actual speed of your RAM can be even faster than this.

Also, the size of RAM is getting large now - my rig has 24GB so using 10GB to make a RAM disk is fine for me.

Because my RAM Disk is not 4K aligned - it is "BAD" :p

ASSSDB2.jpg

ASSSDB1.jpg

While it's cool to see your RAM Drive score, that is not the purpose of this thread.

You have 1333MHz memory, why are you only running it at 1066MHz?

The QPI is limiting the speed of RAM. Xeon E5520 only supports 5.68GT/s so the corresponding speed of RAM is 1066MHz. Can't overclock on a server board - not very good for gaming as the CPU is a bit slow (2.26GHz) so it is a bottleneck.

Other than that the M/B is quite cool - Tyan S7025 has two North Bridges and 4 PCIe x16 so plenty of room to upgrade.

I will look for used high speed Xeon CPUs for my next upgrade to unleash the full power :)

414 | memory | OCZ Vertex 2 120gb

I just installed Windows on my new OCZ Vertex 2 120gb. I am kind of disappointed that it does not help the boot time that much. In fact, since enabling AHCI, I think it takes longer now. I have not done alot of tweaking yet. I have done a few things. Would it make a difference if I ran this before installing any programs?

Here is my test result:
Untitled-7.png

Your SSD has the SandForce controller and it's recommended not to run this benchmark with a SandForce based SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom