'My computer sucks' thread by annoying newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make a full format, and do a fresh installation . Reinstall all the drivers. If you dont have drivers to some devices, you can always download from the net.

Hey and regarding the access speeds, enable DMA to all the channels. You can find it in Device manager settings[my computer->properties]. enable DMA for both primary and secondary channels .

" Front Side Bus is the data channel connecting the processor, chipset, DRAM, and AGP socket. FSB is described in terms of its width in bits and it's speed in MHz. " . You can find the FSB speed in your motherboard manual ,or in the BIOS

FSB stands for Front Side Bus and determines basically what the rest of your system runs at....your CPU, Motherboard, and RAM all have to communicate on the same bus speed and hence why you get major performance decreases if you have a 400FSB cpu and motherboard but only have like PC2700 333MHz RAM instead of PC3200 400MHz RAM....

Also..that auto updates is BS...always be aware of whats being put in your system....you need to reformat...

Install your motherboard drivers first.
Make sure all drivers are installed via your motherboard CD....you have to install drivers for the actual AGP Slot for the AGP slot to utilize the AGP 8x card.

Get into the BIOS via doing what the major said by hitting the delete key as soon as you boot it up....generally if you don't know when to hit the delete key just keep pressing it when you power on until you get to that screen....turn off onboard video if you have it and make sure the CPU FSB is set to the appropriate speed for your CPU.

Never install any drivers for components or your motherboard through windows updates...and btw you need to do all the security updates manually and not just turn on auto update....download only the CRITICAL UPDATES none of the optional crap and don't install SP2 as a lot of people seem to get nothing but troubles from it.

Man... another full format... I really didn't expect to hear that. Thanks for all your help, and I just want to clarify a couple of things before starting all over... to install the motherboard driver, do I just stick the CD in and turn it on? And just make sure I do this before doing the same with the Windows CD?

Also, when I did look around the BIOS, I didn't see FSB written anywhere... I'll be more thorough next time, but do you know what sort of thing it will be under? Same question for onboard video...

Oh, and I think my motherboard and graphics card drivers were on the same CD... does this sound right? And should I install the graphics card one straight after the motherboard one?

Also, regarding the FSB speed... if it's slower than it should be, or slower than it was, is it just a question of changing the settings? I can't find 'FSB' in the manual, but it says under processor 'supports 64-bit psb frequency of 400 mhz (100 mhz bus clock), 533 (133 bc)', and then underneath, the same sentence, but with 800 (200BC)... is this the same thing?

Thanks again

Ok, so how do I format the drive?

Just right-click, format, and then put in the motherboard cd at start-up? Then Windows? And then everything should be fine and faster?

Dominic said:
Just right-click, format, and then put in the motherboard cd at start-up? Then Windows? And then everything should be fine and faster?
you can only do that if you're not running anything from the hard drive you want to format, so if it's the hard drive you're running Windows from (which is in most cases) then you can't format it this way

Hmm where to start. Yes pop in the WinXP CD and make sure the CD-ROM is the first boot device and make sure you 'Press any key to boot' when it prompts you to, then just follow the instructions on there.

Also, when I did look around the BIOS, I didn't see FSB written anywhere
If you're talking about your CPU FSB it's either written as FSB, CPU Clock Frequency, CPU Clock, something to that effect and will be showing your CPU FSB.

Oh, and I think my motherboard and graphics card drivers were on the same CD... does this sound right?
No your motherboard comes with drivers for the AGP slot not graphic card drivers. You need to go to Nvidia or ATI and download the appropriate drivers from them depending on if you have an ATI or Nvidia based graphics card. Usually with most motherboard driver CD's theres a ONE TOUCH INSTALLATION that'll install everything, but there's drivers for the chipset, onboard video if you have it, AGP 3.0 which makes the AGP Slot actually work, chipset drivers, onboard LAN drivers, and onboard Sound. Just make sure onboard video is disabled in the BIOS if you're using a card. After thats done install the newest drivers from Nvidia or ATI. You may have to download and install DirectX 9.0c first but I don't believe you have to. Then you go and do all the windows updates, but just do the critical and security updates. Make sure you go back and keep checking because you'll download like 5 security updates, restart and when you check again theres 22....

Also, regarding the FSB speed... if it's slower than it should be, or slower than it was, is it just a question of changing the settings? I can't find 'FSB' in the manual, but it says under processor 'supports 64-bit psb frequency of 400 mhz (100 mhz bus clock), 533 (133 bc)', and then underneath, the same sentence, but with 800 (200BC)... is this the same thing?
I don't know what processor you have or how fast it is. You need to find out how fast it is and that'll tell you whether it the FSB needs to be set to 100,133,166, or 200...if you have a newer processor then more than likely it's 200..........just checked first page and saw you have a 2.6GHz, but that still doesn't specify exactly what kind of Intel chip it is. Download a program like CPU-Z from CPUID.com[url] and get a screenshot of it and post it up here and I'll tell you what your current settings are if you don't know. Get a shot of the main tab it first opens to and the memory tab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom