Need validation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habap

Beta member
OK, I'm retrofitting an old Alienware box and purchased some of the components I need, but need a motherboard and processor.

What I have already is....
Video card: Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 470 (1280Mb DDR5)
Memory: 4 of Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 2000Mhz 4GB (2x2MB)
Power supply: Antec True Power Quattro 1000 watt
Hard drives: 2 Seagate 500GB SATA 3G 7200 RPM (RAID 0)
(these were the original drives, so no linky)

As long as it runs and I'm not being terribly wasteful (I bought the components over the summer, then my original motherboard gave up the ghost)

I'm thinking that I'll get the Intel i5-2500 as the processor and an ASUS LGA 1155 P8P67 Pro as the motherboard. I'm thinking that since I am no longer an actual techie, I don't want to mess with over-clocking, so not spending the few extra bucks for that. Will the components that I already have work with these or did I already waste some money this summer? Or is there a better option than $460 (with Civ V tossed in) from Amazon?

Thanks in advance for advice....Habap

Overclocking the SandyBridge is suppose to be very easy. I would definitely spend $20 more and get the 2500K over the 2500. Even if you don't overclock it now, in a year or 2 it will be like a free upgrade.

This looks like a good deal to me and it's cheaper than what you chosen.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

And here's a link to a review of the mobo in that combo deal.
Introduction - MSI P67A-GD65 LGA1155 Chipset Motherboard Review | [H]ard|OCP

Will my 2000Mhz memory run at 1333Mhz on the MSI motherboard? (I sometimes miss my Compaq 486/33)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom