New system build $400 excluding GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get the x4 635, it only has 2mb L2 cache. The i3 540 is way better than it, and even though its only dual core it has 4 total threads for multitasking. For gaming tho, I think the x2 555 will be your best bet, considering it fits in well with your budget too.

4 cores > 2 cores, cache or no cache. Hyperthreading won't help you in gaming.

L3 is nice, but not having it is not a huge deal. Heck, all CPUs worked just fine without it for years. it is a relatively new thing on the CPU scene. It allows the CPU to stay a step ahead, but the speed difference is not enough that you would be able to really tell in normal computing, and not more than a shade different in gaming.

So guys I'm going to go with Muffins build, just a few questions:

1. THe AMD x4 635 should be the best because according to trotter no matter what the cache is quad core > dual core right?

2. Is there any alternate PSU anyone can recommend thats only 10 or 20 bucks more? 520 W seems kind of low for any future expanadability past a 9800 GTX+ plus doesn't it only have 40A on the 12V rail like the cheap corsair PSU?

3. Anyone have any other suggestions before I go through with the build? Maybe some 48 hour sales or something?

Hmmm all these PSUs have 2 -6 pin connections for the GPU right? How much does say a GTX 470 require amp wise from a 12V compared to a 9800 GTX+?

Google will be your freind on that one. ;)

I have that case. Wire management could be better, but it cools well and looks great.

$10 more will get your a WD Black 500GB drive, though w/free shipping.

I have that case. Wire management could be better, but it cools well and looks great.

$10 more will get your a WD Black 500GB drive, though w/free shipping.

I'm guessing you are referring to this: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

The only difference between the blue vs black I see is 32MB cache compared to 16 MB, does the cache really matter? I just checked my own hard drives back in the day when I built my system ( 3.5 years ago ) and they were all 16 MB cache.

I guess according to this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/understanding-hard-drive-performance,1557.html the cache for hard drive doesn't matter much but that was back in march of 2007 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom