i5-760 OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cooler Master Hyper 212 isn't the best heatsink choice for overclocking. But you could help it out by adding a 2nd 120mm fan for a push-pull setup.

I completely forgot about adding the second fan to the heatsink!! Thanks for reminding me...

I've added the second fan. I'll see if the temps improve.

Here is the amazing difference in temps after adding the second fan (lol).

The left CT is with 1 fan, the right with 2 fans.

extrafantemp.jpg

The lack of temperature change probably saved me a lot of time in trying to get it to 4 GHz! I will definitely just leave it at 3.8 GHz now.

How did you have the fans attached? Post a couple images that show the fan (and blades)from both sides.

I had them set up properly. The fan on the front of the heatsink (towards the front of the case) is pushing air onto the heatsink. The fan on the backside was pulling air away from the heatsink. There was only about 1 inch between the pull fan and the rear exhaust fan. I have already removed the 2nd fan because it wasn't doing any good.

I actually found it to be unstable at around the 25th pass of maximum stress, so I had to increase the IMC to 1.22. Once I did that, it passed 50 runs of intel burn test under maximum stress. Temps hit 73-74*C. My goal was to be able to pass 50 runs...

At this point, I am 100% done and 100% stable :D

CPU: 3.8 GHz
RAM: 1600 MHz

Vcore: 1.26250
IMC: 1.22
DRAM: 1.50

Maybe they just revised the newer batch of i5 CPUs so they're not as clockable, although I am only at 1.26250....
I know MindOverMaster got his to 4.0 GHz quite easily with the same motherboard. I guess he could have a better cooler.

Edit: I was able to run 4 GHz with higher voltages, but my temps reach 78-80*C. I want them to be right around 70*C and no more than 75*C, so I am limited by my Cooler.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

I have definitely been wondering about my chip getting to 4 GHz, so I did some more testing.

I finally was able to pass 10 runs of intel burn test (standard load) @ 4 GHz with 1.31875 Vcore and 1.22 IMC. My temp reaches 76*C. My CPU surely hits a wall at 3.8 GHz since that runs at even 1.25 Vcore. I guess that's not terrible, right? My CPU Cooler seems to be my bottleneck because those temps are too high for me. I want to try and keep it below 70*C during max load on burn test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom