PC Building Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe3256

Solid State Member
Im putting together my first PC and when I thought I was finished and had all the components in and connected i turned it on but it woouldn't work. The mobo and video card and HD all powered up put nothing was displayed. SOmething else was that when i connected my CD-ROMs they would not even open. I disconnected them from thr mobo and they worked but not when they were connected. If anyone knows what I might have done wrong please tell me. I would greatly appreciate it.

Joe J.

It sounds like there might be something with the power supply. Have you tried making sure all the connections are good? Or a different psu? Also have you connected the power, reset, speaker, and led's to the mobo?

yeah when you get something like that you basically gotta unplug everything and double check 100% sure that you got it connected in there right in the first place, or seated your RAM, CPU, or Vidcard correctly.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's the power supply, a lot of things can cause a system to have power run through it but not POST at all.....and to find out the problem takes troubleshooting =/

Yeah I've taken everything apart then put it back together many times. I checked every component and i can't figure whats wrong. I would have thought that since the mobo had power and the video card had power that it sould work but it just doesn't. Is there some way that I could troubleshoot it b/c I don't have any other compatible parts to try in place of what i bought.

Joe J.

When the mobo has power to it but your computer doesn't boot up that means there's a problem somewhere in your hardware.

You need to completely remove the motherboard and put it on something non conductive ....so don't lay it on the carpet obviously....then stick in ONE piece of RAM, the Graphics card, CPU, and Keyboard.....power up the computer...if you still don't get any sort of response then take out that piece of RAM....if the computer beeps you know it's the RAM (you're going to have to make sure you hook up the computer speaker, not the ones you listen to music through, the tiny one thats capable of only beeping....it's a 4pin connector that goes to the mobo) if you still get no response, then put the RAM back in and remove the Vid card, no response, do the same thing, put vidcard back in and remove CPU and see what happens. The whole point of this is to try and get SOME sort of response out of your system and what we're looking for here is a beep to notify you what part broke down...if it beeps after removing something then there's your faulty part.

I tryed that and while I was I saw the revision number (AA number), and i checked that on the Intel site and saw that my mobo(Intel D865PERLK) has the number AA-C26719-209 and my processor(P4 2.8E Ghz / 800 FSB) needs AA-C26719-211 or later. Would that be the reason it doesn't work?? if anyone knows anything about that??

Joe J.

Hmmm where do you see this at? I found your board on the intel site at:

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/

and I didn't see what numbers you were Referring to. It says it can support up to Celerons, Pentium4, Pentium4 Extreme Editions and basically every newer CPU so I don't see why it wouldn't work, but then again like I said I don't know where you got those numbers from or if it has anything to do with it....do you have a link to where it says something of that nature?

By simply reading about the board your CPU SHOULD work in it, but honestly I know nothing of Intel like I do AMD.

When you pulled out the motherboard did you remember to still connect the little speaker that's built into your case? Usually a straight small 4pin connector that's near your HD LED, PW SWitch, Reset SW, and all that stuff....generally black and red wires.....you need to have that connected so you can hear the beep codes that alert you to what's wrong with the system.

Yeah the link is http://support.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/rl_proc.htm

Under P4 Processors I have a 2.8E Ghz 800Mhz FSB and it has the notes to the right of it. And about the speaker, most of the intel boards dont have the speaker plug-ins, they have an integrated speaker specificly for the system beeps. I read it here http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d865perl/sb/cs-002851-prd949.htm

Thanks for you help man I really do appreciate it. Im gonna try and take the things out again and recheck everything one more time. Ill see how it goes.

Joe J.

most of the intel boards dont have the speaker plug-ins, they have an integrated speaker specificly for the system beeps.
Ahh cool, so did my old ASUS board, I didn't know that most Intels came with it attached though...heh learn something everyday...

ok, I read that note off to the side...did you make sure you have the BIOS that it says you need?

"P13 or greater" is what it says it needs under the BIOS Section so that's something to think about...oh well bah that was a stupid suggestion on my part because you can't even get to the BIOS much less past it to flash it...hmmm....

Aright so I read those notes and I think I got it.....

this is the number you saw on your motherboard correct?:

AA-C26719-209

aright on the supported CPU's the closest number to that is:

C26719-211 or later

which you pointed out in your post a couple up. Now I understand what it means I think....it's the last 3 digits you gotta look for...if YOUR 3 digits are HIGHER than the ones marked in the table your motherboard supports that CPU....if it's not..then...

If your 6 digit main number is not listed in the table, contact your system manufacturer for processor support information.

is about all I could suggest =/

So basically I think your board needs a C26719-209 type processor because the ones they have listed including yours is -211.....so they are basically saying your CPU is not supported for that board

I'm about 85% sure that's the case here, but I think if that info I provided wasn't helpful or if you still can't get it to work you need to hit up Intel tech support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom