ps3 to pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackoftrades

Solid State Member
Hello all i am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone has seen or watched any videos on how to transfer the guts of a ps3 into a pc case? I have looked all over the net and have come up empty handed any help would be great ty in advance:p

Only thing I can think of, is take the PS3 apart and start modding a case to mount the board and whatnot. I know they make after market cases (Lian Li) for 360, as well as water cooling parts but I haven't seen anything for PS3.

Ya thats what i had thought but was wondering if there was anyone that had tryed it so i could get some kind of idea the route, im new to the modding sene so..thnx for the reply

I actually happen to have a PS3 with it's guts strewn across the floor, so I can take some pictures of how it would work, and even if it would work. I'll have a solid answer up in a bit.

that would be awsome i am trying to get my hand on a broken ps3 so i can see how i could go about it, but that be a great help dude thnx

Right, so, here's what I've come up with. It would be possible to mount a ps3 in a pc. The key word here being possible. As you can see in the pictures there are a few issues, but a few positive things going. I'll start with the problems.

There are 2 prongs that pop down that have to be grounded in order for it to work. The problem with that is that you'd have to drill 2 holes in the motherboard tray and figure out a way to ground it. Secondly only a couple of the mounts line up, and not enough to make it secure enough with a HSF/HDD/PSU and all the cool stuff you need to run the PS3 on the thing. But this is the easy bit, you can easily drill new mount holes into the motherboard tray depending on how you want to mount it. Mounting it is a problem in and of itself. There are the Card reader slots/cd drive (as a normal molex/sata drive won't really work, plus it's a bluray drive, why not use it), which are on one side, and then the power connector and ethernet and such on the 'back.' By mounting it you have to adjust how you use it.

the good news is that it fits nicely on my nzxt tempest motherboard tray, not so sure about any other case tray's, but the dimensions of the bare motherboard are: 12.5" x 9.5"

img3661w.jpg

img3662et.jpg

img3663qe.jpg

img3664.jpg

img3665n.jpg

the main reason i wanted to stick it in a pc case is for cooling purposes, cuz i have noticed that it can get extremly hot, and dont feel that the investment of the 15-25 dollar usb fac cooler are good enough, i have heard that replacing the thermal paste with better quality stuff can help but i was looking to go a lil further, im still gonna keep a look out around my area for a broken ps3 to give this a test without breaking my own. And i noticed that your mobo tray is rather small compared to mine, maybe its just the pics idk, i plan on using an antec 900, and maybe exteneding the wires of the readers and blu-ray so they could rech the bays, as for grounding it idk that is something i might have to look up and maybe ask some people that know a lil about that stuff..but thanx for all the pics and time man it has been great help

It's the tray out of an NZXT, Just the tray mind you, not the full back panel. It's full ATX so it shouldn't seem small.

If you're worried about the cooling, I'm sure there's a way to remove the x-clamp method that holds the heatsinks on, it works on the same principles as the xbox 360's tragic x-clamps. I'm not sure if there's an easy fix for it cause the ps3 is a ***** to take apart, but it's worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom