Graphics cards that need power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

HazeXL

Beta member
so, untill recently I had never had a video card that had a plug for power ON the video card itself, and I could never find out where I needed to plug it, I'm guessing into my power supply, but my power supply doesn't have a plug that supports the 6pin connector.
My question is, do I need to upgrade my power supply or is there something I'm missing?

If your psu is good enough, than you can just get an adapter which will use 2 molex plugs from your psu and convert it to the 6 pin for your video card.

You shoulod have gotten the adapter with the card. It's the 2 flat 4 pin plugs that cchange to a 6 pin.

12-887-001-05.jpg

no, it didn't come with that. I got a plug that was supposed to do that but the plug didn't fit into my vid card. but if there's another plug that would work I'm interested.

I see what's going on now, the video card uses an 8-pin pci-e. While the adaptor you got with it converts two 6-pin pci-e to one 8 pin pci-e.

So, what you really need is an adaptor that converts two molex 4-pin to a 8-pin pci-e.
Newegg.com - 1ST PC CORP. CB-PCI-X2 Adapter

Before you go ordering the cable, could you check the lable on your psu and tell us on many amps is on the 12volt rail of the psu. Even though you have 550 watts, the amps might not be good enough as you say it's a generic psu.

Just don't want you to waste your time and money ordering this cable when you might actually need a new psu to power it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom