Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I plan to upgrade my HP Pavilion Media Center TV m8125x PC (GM441AA) specifications - HP Home & Home Office Products PC. Just wondering if I can install Cooler Master Elite 460 Watt Power Supply (RS460-PSARJ3-US) : Power Supplies - Best Buy Canada and if it will go well with my system. Also if anyone can give any suggestions for a video card that would go well with these components thats less than a $100. I wanna play the latest games like Black Ops so if it takes more than a $100 I'm OK with that.

That power supply is no bueno.

You can't go cheap when it comes to PSUs. A bad one can cause horrible problems. I suggest you spend more on the PSU on something like this.
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Than save and get something like this for graphics.
Newegg.ca - PowerColor AX5770 1GBD5-H Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

That card, 5770, is one of the AMD cards that I tried to use- it failed to work "well" = blue screens, etc. The local tech shop said that the older HP computer - MOBO could not handle it in spite of me switching out to a new good PSU - granted I have learned a great deal by monitoring and reading in this forum since then. I believe NOW it was a conflict between the nvidia vs the AMD drivers. Due to the fact that i never deleted the nvidia drivers from the old 8600gtc card. SO, if you do get that 5770 card ( great card ) make sure you know how to use "driver sweeper" or some other program to get rid of your old GPU drivers so that you can download the new AMD drivers for the 5770. If someone could point out ( link) a tutorial for the use of "driver sweeper" that would be very helpful for those of us that cant figure it out. OR it could be the old HP computers just really are bad enough that they cannot handle the upgrades.

Still a little expensive for me though. I really like this combination though.Newegg.ca - Palit NE3T2400FHD51 GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card This so far has great review on newegg.
Newegg.ca - hec ZEPHYR ZEPHY580MX 580W Continuous @ 40°C ATX12V V2.3 / SSI EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Certified Active PFC Power Supply And so does this.
It's cheap and it seems really good and I would like to keep it.
Again, just wanna know if its compatible cause I would want to upgrade my PC as soon as possible.

Extreme112 -listen to Trotter - you get what you pay for and you don't want a "iffy" PSU. Search on this site about computers not working and many times it is a bad PSU. Save for another month to get a good GPU but dont skimp on the PSU.

I will buy what trotter has listed, but is there anything else I need to worry about before buying a PSU. I'm a total noob at this stuff.

Also getting a decent PSU now that lasts years may save you some cash if you decide to build your own set up down the road. Granted a 550 watt PSU wont power up a huge crossfire or SLI type of set up , but may suffice for a moderate setup to start with. So think of it as a type of savings account. I don't think you have much else to worry about regarding a new PSU. As I said before GPU's are much more difficult to pick out. Price vs performance is still pretty much " you get what you pay for". However, compatibility to the system is important and a price point is the best first parameter that is necessary for you to decide on. Then we can continue to help you out. GPU prices change quickly - so be ready to buy when you post us your final price point.

Ok thanks guys. I'll post when I order, receive and install the PSU and there's still shipping so maybe in a week or so. Hopefully no DOA. :p

Just Bought PSU, hasn't arrived yet, but was wondering this video card will run with current specs. Newegg.ca - EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Motherboard:Motherboard Specifications, P5BW-LA (Basswood) - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Monitor:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00908010&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3357289

Specs of Comp.:
Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100608-0458)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: GM441AA-ABA m8125x
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 1639MB used, 2696MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

Status
Not open for further replies.