Freezing/overheating? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollyH

Beta member
My laptop has been COMPLETELY freezing up these past couple of weeks within a few moments of starting up. By freezing up, I mean I cannot move the cursor, the wifi connection icon no longer flashes near the time, and all I can do is a hard shutdown with the power button. It does not seem overly hot on the bottom, but I have heard overheating can cause this issue. Is this right? I tried cleaning out the dust from the fan and inside the case by removing the keyboard and palmrest and using air duster, but it is still happening. I also tried just using the AC adapter with the battery out.
I'm pretty sure this is a hardware issue of some sort due to the fact that I have reset my laptop to factory a couple of times. Also, my computer is amazing with performance and speed. It is just this that happens. Please let me know if you guys have ANY ideas or suggestions.
It is an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad R60 laptop. It has a Celeron M 1.6GHz, 3GB of RAM(upgraded 9 months ago), and an Intel 945GM graphics card. It is running Windows XP Home Edition.

Additional info:
Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type ThinkPad EC (ISA 66h)

Temperatures:
CPU 46 °C (115 °F)
CPU #1 49 °C (120 °F)
North Bridge 40 °C (104 °F)
Power Supply 46 °C (115 °F)
Battery 38 °C (100 °F)
MiniPCI 41 °C (106 °F)
PCMCIA 38 °C (100 °F)

46 is not that hot, so I doubt that is the problem. It sounds more like a software conflict or problem to me.

Have you tried looking in Event Viewer to see if there are problems happening behind the scenes?

Have you tried going into safe mode to see if it happens there as well? This would be a great way to see if it is hardware or not. I would suggest checking Event Viewer from safe mode if the laptop locks up quickly.

So I went into the EventViewer, and I found TONS of warning under System about acpiec.
\Device\ACPIEC: The embedded controller (EC) hardware returned data when none was requested. This may indicate that the BIOS is incorectly trying to access the EC without syncronizing with the OS. The data is being ignored.
Also, under Security, I am getting a few failure audits:
Logon Failure:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
User Name: SUPPORT_388945a0
Domain: LENOVO-F6F60B67
Logon Type: 2
Logon Process: Advapi
Authentication Package: Negotiate
Workstation Name: LENOVO-F6F60B67
Logon attempt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
Logon account: SUPPORT_388945a0
Source Workstation: LENOVO-F6F60B67
Error Code: 0xC000006A
IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

Any insight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom