Spontaneus reboots after buying Radeon9800 pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensemand

Beta member
Hi

About half a year ago i decided to upgrade my current computer with a new graphics card - a Radeon 9800pro manufactured by no less than ATI themselves (their reference board).

Despite being from Denmark, Europe I bought the card as new by a retailer from USA, i was aware that this would complicate matters if i had troubles with the card - but believe me, i had money to save from the retail price in Denmark...

Shortly after ordering the card i recieved and installed it in Denmark - apparently everthing was in order - until a couple of weeks later when i got my first spontaneus reboot.

I have been working with computers for a long time, been building all my friends computers, and have been working in a computer shop myself for some years (unfortunately i quitted the job a couple of years ago), so i wouldnt consider myself as a newb.

Well, as it turned out it wasnt just a simple case of "one random reboot" - the reboots would come 1-3 times a day - in all kinds of applications - just in idle windows - in 3d games and in programs like word - it didnt seem to have any relation to how hard my computer (or graphics card) worked ... (my computer is on 24/7 so really 2-3 crashes a day isnt that much)...

This however complicated my troubleshooting since i would not be able to test changes immedeatly, however this is what i did to try to resolve the problem (and it sure took me many hours)

- first i tried reformatting the system - several times, tried with the original drivers and the updated drivers from ati

- i updated all my other drivers (mobo, soundcard, tv-card so on)

- i tried too free and change as many interrupts and DMA's as possible

- I ran memtest86 several times without it finding any problems whatsoever with my RAM

- i bought a new PSU (Aopen 450watt) for my system to rule out any PSU related problems

- i disabled automatic reboot of windows when ocurring critical errors - but i still didnt get any blue error screen - the computer simply just reboots as if i had pushed reset

- i tried updating the BIOS and changing all kinds of settings (Ram timings, AGP apaeture size and so on - only one setting seemed to make a difference - the AGP voltage - it seemed that when i forced AGP into 1.6 volts instead of auto it became more stable regarding reboots - however this meant that i couldnt really play any 3d games, since the system would crash (not crash as in reboot, more like crash into VPU recover) (this was why i bought a new PSU in the first place)

- i tried removing all extension cards possible (Tv-tuner, soundcard, netcard so on)

- i tried testing the direct 3d through dxdiag - no luck

.... so in the end ... i gave up ... i simply stopped playing computer games and ran the agp power on a permanently 1.6volts ... until this day.... now the reboots have come back to haunt me - and i havent made a single hardware change since then - now it seems that the computer doesnt care what voltage at all my AGP port is running at .... and since im a medical student now - i am in no position to buy new equipment (such as a new graphics card) so i turn to you - the experts - to come up with an advice that may or may not help my computer become more stable - have you ever heard of a similar problem - or a soloution to this?

...of course the easiest thing would be sending the graphics card overseas - since all the troubles started when i installed the radeon 9800 pro but that would mean a lot of shipping costs - and worst of all - a lot of waiting time without a computer - i hope you can help me instead, here's my computer specs:

Motherboard: Asus A7V8X (VIA KT400 chipset)

Ram: 512 megs of PC2100 RAM never failed before

CPU: AMD Athlon XP thouroughbred 2400+ (2.0ghz) - NEVER overclocked

Graphics card: ATI Radeon 9800pro - refernce card - NEVER overclocked

NorthQ 400Watts PSU - and a Aopen 450watts ( tried both without any luck)

Lite on DVD-ROM
MSI DVD-writer

Seagate barracuda IV - 40gb HDD
Samsung Spinpoint Sp1614N - 160gb HDD

Accton netcard (current disabled in favor of onboard LAN - but of course i tried disabling that without any luck)

Hauppuage WinTV-Theater

Soundblaster 128 PCI (tried using onboard sound as well - no luck)

CPU-Fan: Powerful thermaltake model

Software: Win XP pro - fully updated with SP 2

Please let me note this, my errors have NOTHING to do with motherboad nor CPU temperature - i wont rule out that there could be too high a temperature in the GPU - but i find that hardly unlikely taken in consideration that i have never overclocked it - and that its a reference board from ATI

Well anyway, im open to any suggestions (that havent already been tried)

Thx for you time
Jens Andersen

What video card did you have before this? Did you try and install that back in and see what happenned? That will tell you if it is the 9800Pro. And also, that is a lot of stuff in your comp, are you sure 450watts is enough? I think so, especially since you didnt have any reboots immediatley after putting in the 9800Pro. That is just a lot of components. Also try removing all unnessecary components (I know you kinda tried this, but I mean everything). First strip your system and put in one stick of ram, no pci cards, one hard drive and try and use another video card. If you get a crash in games, switch out anything in there one by one to retest (like you have two hard drives). If you get no crashes in windows or in games, then add your card (9800Pro). Test again. If still no crashes, then add components one by one until you find the culprit. I know it is a long process, but you gotta be able to play games, you are missing out on life (lol)! That is my idea, hope I can help you out.

My former video card was a Radeon 9700pro which started producing acid tears after i installed Omega drivers - so unfortunately i am not able to use that during troubleshooting however, since the problems started after installing the radeon 9800pro i am pretty sure that the problem centers around that.

But even though im only having trouble when using the radeon 9800pro, the video card could be okay... a lot of circumstances could make a computer spontaneusly reboot after installing a new video unit, despite the unit not being defective . . . now i tried changing some of the circumstances that could make my computer reboot without any luck (e.g changing the AGP voltage), so basicly im looking for new ideas with this posts (other settings or so that i would be able to change myself)... so really changing the graphics card wouldnt say that much

regarding the removal of other devices i already tried that method thoroughly which (unsurprisingly) let me to the conclusion that it indeed was my video card causing the trouble

anyway thx for your input :)
Jens

btw i am sure that the problem doesnt focus around the PSU, before i got my new gfx i had an aopen 200watts PSU with the same configuration just with a radeon 9700pro gfx .... so a 450watts aopen should easily do the job ...

i have also tried testing both PSU with programs like MBM and those also show a stable power output on the voltage rails, so this issue is not PSU related for sure

Two suggestions I can offer, first, ATI recomends 1.6v for the agp, and second, try running catalyst 4.4. I have a 9800 pro as well, and this is the best set of drivers that i can find.

have you looked into heat realted problems? I know that with my gaming rig, the 9800pro is have in there got very hot for a while even just running in idle. So i built a custom 80mm fan mount for it and now it runs about 80% cooler. I have the fon on the back of the card where all the ram is and this seems to help... I know it doesn't sound like much, but give it a try... Fans are cheap...
if you have a laser thermometer, that would be best to see if this is the case, but using your own hand will work. In all honesty, my card was hot enough to burn my skin, as in blister, so keep that in mind...

Inaris, wha were the temps that you were getting with the laser thermometer? I have a temp sensor that sits in the heatsink and I am getting temps of 35c. It may not be the most accurate, but its better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom