FSB running too slow!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmonk888

Baseband Member
hey everybody,
Im not exactly an expert on computers, but i did manage to build my own, even thou it seems that it has some problems.. now .. instead of posting the whole system specs ill just post the prob, if specs are needed later to see whats wrong, ill add that in also..
now, my motherboard supports 333MHz FSB, i use pc2700 ram that (is supposed to run) at 333mhz and i run an AMD 2800+ barton that also runs at 333mhz, thing is , computer is running farely slow, i get pretty bad lag in certain games, and i have a ridculously low score in 3dmark03.. like 1100 or something .. and i use a Asus Ti4400 overclocked to like .. 320 clock speed and 550 memory .. regardless to say, i think the problem might lie somewhere in the settings on the motherboard, but i checked and its all set on 333mhz.. in case anyone of you knows maybe there is some odd option that i might need to have selected please let me know ... any help or suggestions are more than welcome =D

thnx,
madmonk

166 is correct fsb, this means your bus speed is 333 so woudent worry about that as for comp running slow maybe its full of spyware try running adware see if this helps

Your score for 3dmark is where it should be. Since you have an old video card, you will get a low score.

The issue with things running slow, try getting rid of spyware, and running msconfig, and getting rid of some of the programs in startup.

thanks for the feedback, i guess that makes more sense, now i have a question ..well.. more than one .. first off.. i have just recently formatted my HD and it has no spyware, however out of 1 gig of ram , only 600 is unused, now .. is there some list of stuff that SHOULD run in the config? like .. what should i take out out of the msconfig?

here is another question .. i have about 300 bucks... and i was wondering what i should upgrade for more performace.. since EQ2 is comming out.... i can either get... a Geforce 6800GT 128 MB ... or a mobo+cpu Athlon64 3400
right now i have a Amd XP 2800+ for cpu and for gfx i have overclocked Ti 4400 running at ....**update** on correct gph clock speed .... 300.5 core and ..... 580 memory

so what do you guys think i should upgrade?

also .. i have a soundcard incorporated in the Mobo, does it make a difference other than sound being better if i buy a pci one? like .. will speed improve for some reason?

thnx for future imput =D

Madmonk

Well i guess I would upgrade your video card. But when you do that, your cpu will be the limiting factor. But you will have much better game play and graphics. You migt want to look into what it would take to oc your cpu. Just so its not limiting performace as bad.

As for your sound card, you will notice better performace if you get a sound card. But unless you are into good quality sound, it might not be worth it. Its up to you.

When you run msconfig, just look through all the programs that are running when your computer starts up. The idea is to get rid of things that you dont really need. This will help speed up your computer, so they dont take up the cpu resources.

A few examples of what I have turned off on my pc are: winzip quick pick, steam, realplay, nerocheck, itunes, and others. You want to keep the drivers for your hard ware enabled, but other things dont need to be running unless you want to use them.

Does this help?

yah thnx, it helps very much, i was also thinking graphics card update, btw, i have the same exact MB as yours, not too impressed with it, but it has decent feats for hte 80 bucks i blown on it when i bought it, btw .. whats your score with 3dmark03?
also... i already had stuff turned off.. like some anti virus software, however, there is ALOT of stuff with microsoft signature on it, so i dont know if i should turn it off or not .. like scvhost.. which takes like .. 24 megs of ram ...and other things.. =D
thnx for hte help =D

My score is in my sig, both 03 and 05.

The asus board isnt that bad, yeah it may not be the greatest, but it was a decent price when i got it, and it has alot of features.

You should keep your anti virus turned on under the startup tab. In case i didnt make it clear before, here is the list of programs that start up with windows when it boots up. You can turn off things that you dont need running in the background. But av, and scvhost are improtant. If you need help of what to turn off and keep running, post what they are, and I can point you in the right direction.

Yeah I have an old ASYS A7N266-VM I think it is, it sucks...I hate ASUS...whole other story...anyway yeah it'd be better if you got atleast a mobo and processor that supports 400FSB and Dual DDR400 at the very least cause that's holding you back at the moment. Currently AMD64's are not really that powerful because they don't have anything to full utilize their power so until windows becomes 64bit and so do all programs then it really won't be used to it's full potential so currently my 2.7GHz OC'd chip runs faster than the stock 64's.

My 3dmark03 was like 2981 and I have better processing speed, and a faster graphics card, at the moment however I had to put in a stick of PC2700 256mb ram =/ cause my 512mb PC3200 simply failed and I RMA'd it...when it returns I'm just going to sell it and get some Corsair XMS because I think my computer wants the lower latencies obviously to stay stable at this high of OC...cause the 512mb wanted nothing to do with it...anywho....your system sounds like it's running about right, especially if you went through and turned as much crap as you could off..

Another useful program is "Startup Control Panel" just type that in the search at download.com and you'll find it. Puts it in the control panel just like it says and it will say 'Startup' and then it lets you select all what starts up via registry or the startup folder or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom