i5 build: Sandy Bridge vs. Lynnfield for office computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhgunit

Daemon Poster
Which would be better for an office computer that needs to be fast to program other peripherals?

Yes, I had come to that conclusion after some further research. Plus I am not planning on doing any gaming really on this computer, so was planning on using the integrated graphics. Is there much difference between HD3000 and HD2000 graphics? Here is what I have so far:

Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (don't much care for this case as I have it in another office, would love a $50 mid tower suggestion)

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

MOBO: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TH67XE LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

SSD: Newegg.com - Corsair Nova CSSD-V32GB2-BRKT 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

PSU: Newegg.com - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular LED Power Supply

Optical: Newegg.com - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

Total(before OS): $590

I don't have a limit on price, but the lower the better to look good for the boss. What do you think of this machine? Keep in mind.....it is being upgraded from a P4 system with 512 MB of RAM.

Windows 7 64-bit.....probably Home Premium to save a few bucks.

32 Gig is small, but the one it is replacing is probably 7 or 8 years old and has only used 10 GB in that time.

Well as its work, save 3 bucks for the non k.

I just switched it to the 2400 instead. I don't really need the 2500K. I think when I picked it I thought I might play games on it, but I won't ever. So the 2400 would be fine.

:) Looks like an Antec 900 knockoff......which isn't a bad thing considering the computer I am using right now has a 900 case.

I like it much better, thanks for the suggestion.

That SSD is better; it certainly is faster. However, what will this drive be doing? I have an OCZ Vertex 2 60gb and it lowers my bootup time considerably...the only thing making it take 30 seconds is the BIOS booting up; windows takes about 10. With mine, i have, win7 64-bit, all my startup programs (google talk, xfire, norton, steam) as well as all my steam games (just black ops :p ) and google chrome and I have 17gb left, which is where I want to keep it to leave room for win7 updates and other programs that use the Application Data folder.

Reading files and loading websites is much quicker while switching from a standard 7,200 rpm drive to SSD. The SATA III will definitely increase the speeds, and pay just $10 more is probably worth it (compared to the 60gb drive) or you could go with slightly slower speeds and 10gb less space and save $34. But it's up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom