Another guy with a 1st Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefri

Beta member
Hey everyone,

I have frequented the forums in the past and noticed how helpful everyone here is. I signed up today to post my build as well as try to contribute to other posts I may be able to help.

I got this build from a recent member and would like to know if it is in my best interest to replicate it. I have waited over two years before I have had the means to purchase a respectable machine and after research this build seems to nail it in my opinion.

Processor - 224.99
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Motherboard - 184.99
ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card - 199.99
EVGA 01G-P3-1380-KR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) SSC+ 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU - 89.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ...

RAM - 69.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBXM

Total thus far is just under $800. I would like to keep it under $1000 but would like to know if anyone has any suggestions or improvements with these components.

The machine will mainly be used as a mock HTPC but also used for ripping/encoding/converting video as well as gaming when the kids come over.

I have a case, hard drive, CD / DVD burner, OS, mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

Thanks for looking and I appreciate all responses.

January, 2011

Best build I've reviewed. That's a fantastic one.

I like when people listen to us. lol

I think you're good to go. Just make sure this mobo will fit into that case.

Thanks! I do listen and do a lot of research. Perhaps others may be able to use this to construct their next build. I purchased these parts prematurely before getting multiple user feedback but I feel like they will suit my needs. The prices are from newegg at the time of writing January, 2011.

Yep, you're good to go. I noticed you didn't listed a HDD though. I suggest a WD Black, whatever size that suits you.

It'll be a really nice htpc and can be oc'd eventually, with a better cooler, very nicely.

Will the stock cooler be sufficient for daily tasks or should I just go ahead and purchase an aftermarket cooler? Will thermal paste be necessary?

The stock coolings fine if you keep it stock or mild overclock. I only mentioned overclocking as you bought the k model, which is designed for overclocking.

And no, it'll be pre-pasted.

January, 2011

Alright gents, I finally received my parts and successfully completed my first build. I hate incomplete forum threads so if you don't mind I'm going to post my thoughts, obstacles, and pics to make this a complete thread. I will update by the end of the week. Semper Fi

Quick Note: I will be getting an aftermarket cooler soon. I see how the CPU dramatically changes temps with simple tweaking (Thanks patron)

If you learn the process, you should be able to get an okay boost with minimal temp increase.

Glad you got it sorted, it worked with minimal headaches......

Now lets see some PR0N!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom