Hardware bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this isn't the issue but once I started thinking about it I couldn't stop....so insead of starting a new thread I'll just ask here, what would you guys recommend for an upgrade on the cpu/mobo/ram? Should I go for the 2600k or should i stick with the q6600 for a while more? If I do, what do you guys recommend for a mobo and RAM? I know i was reading that the next stage of cpus is coming out soon that will be the performance line over the 2600k but as i don't want to spend more than $1000 I was thinking this would be a good upgrade for now as i wouldnt be able to afford the next release anyways. Thanks for the help so far.

Performance of the 2600 vs Q6600 should be quite noticeable. You should hopefully be able to get about $100 for your 6600, which should help pay for the 2600k. Maybe 150-170 for the mobo, and $70-90 for some good ram.
Work is just ramping up a little atm (surprising, nothing was happening the entire week!), I'll find you some exact models in a few hours

Do understand that when you "upgrade" the motherboard, you are in effect, building a new computer. Note also that OEM licenses are NOT transferable. That is, if your Windows license now is an OEM license you are using with your current computer, you MUST purchase a new Windows license so be sure to include that in your budget or plan on using one of the free Linux alternatives.

If your current license is a retail version you purchased separately at a store, then you can transfer it as long as you uninstall it from any other computer.

Note - I'm just the messenger.

Yeah, I think upgrading now makes the most sense. I'd love to hold out and get the s2011 but i'm guessing that it will be too expense for me so i'll have to wait even longer. This looks to be a decent increase for not that much money, I can pick up the bracket for my TRUE and bump that over to the 1155 so that should save me on a decent cooler as well. I can probably get a couple hundred for the q6600+mobo+ram.

Do you think the stock intel cooler that comes with the 2600 could be put on the 775 mobo?

edit: Thanks for the info, I'm very familiar with microsofts money grab, I don't know what kind of copy my 7 is but i've had to call them up in the past to activate after switching mobos and they've always been understanding. As for Ubuntu, it's on the to do list but not in the near future.

Also no, I don't think a stock cooler for a 1155 socket will fit a 775. Just store it away in case something happens to your TRUE ;)

Well, tried another game of SCII tonight and just at the end I had the same think happen twice, this is at stock clocks with the fan running 85% and the 260 drivers. So to sum up:

- No problems on FurMark
- Temps are fine
- I loaded up folding@home, no problems at stock or OCd to a core of 800/1601

What else would you guys recommend i try to see if I can duplicate this, I'm still trying confirm that the card is bad vs just an issue with SCII

Have you tried reinstalling SCII yet? Do you have any other demanding games you could test with? E.g. Crysis, FO3 or Vegas, Metro 2033, etc.
Does any other game apart from SCII have artifact issues?

Nah, I haven't tried that yet. Guess I will have to next. As for other games, not really, I don't play other games, have been waiting for SCII to come out. I could borrow Modern Warfare 6 off a friend and install it, that's about as demanding as it gets here :p I did have a copy of Crysis for benchmarking but I gave it away to a friend a while ago.

I'm very familiar with microsofts money grab, I don't know what kind of copy my 7 it
It is not really a money grab - it is an industry wide practice and MS is giving us a choice. If we want a transferable license, we buy the full "Retail" version. If we want a discounted license for use on our current system, we buy an OEM/System Builders license. If we want free, we download a free Linux alternative.

You can tell what you have by looking at the disk. If OEM/System Builders or "branded", it will say so on the disk.

Note this is not limited to Windows - most preinstalled software is OEM and licensed to the computer or motherboard it came with, or was purchased for. Most security suites that come with computers are tied to that computer. Even "burn" software that comes with DVD drives is licensed to that drive.

Do you think the stock intel cooler that comes with the 2600 could be put on the 775 mobo?
Since we are on the side topic of warranties, understand too that both Intel and AMD warranty their "retail" boxed versions of their CPUs that come with heatsink fan (HSF) assemblies as a "unit". That is, they must be used together and it is in the EULAs (just as MS license terms are in those EULAs) that if you use any cooling solution other than the one that came with the CPU, then any damages caused by heat or HSF failure (or over clocking too for that matter) is not covered under the warranty. And while motherboard makers are integrating overclocking capabilities into their boards, their warranties do not cover damages attributed to overclocking. They will not pay to replace your CPU, and neither will the 3rd party cooler makers.

If you decide to use a cooler other than the one provided and something happens to the CPU that can be attributed to ineffective cooling, if you contact warranty support and don't tell the truth with the purpose of obtaining a free replacement, that is deception by fraud, a criminal offense. So, while it is fine to use alternative cooling, just realize you sacrifice the 3-year warranty if you do. Also understand that neither Intel or AMD want to replace the CPU or HSF assembly during that 3-year warranty so the OEM HSFs are excellent coolers.

Again, I am just the messenger. My opinion is immaterial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom