Looking for Input on PC components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizier

Baseband Member
Currently I am looking to assemble a new machine, and I have a budget of around $1800. So far, I have assembled this list on Newegg.com:

EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
hec XP1080 1080W Continuous @ 40°C ATX12V / EPS12V CrossFire & SLI NVIDIA HYBRID-SLI Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Thermaltake N0023SN Max 4 3.5" SATA HDD Rack
SilverStone SDP08 3.5" to 2 x 2.5" Bay Converter
(2x) Link Depot 19.69" SATA III Round Cable with Latch Model LD-SATA3-0.5M
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

I am looking for complete reliability and stability in a system. I think this might do the job, but second opinions always catch something one misses.

Thanks for the input!

I am curious as to why that RAM and PSU is better than the ones I listed. I'm not picky, but I am looking to increase my knowledge on this sort of thing.

The PSU you chose isn't as reputable or reliable. They are generally a cheap brand and you never want to go cheap on the PSU. Choose a bad/cheap PSU and it can ruin all your new parts.

Corsair is also up in the best of the best in PSUs.

The RAM I suggested is cheaper and the same speed. The timings are a little slower but for the price tag and brand reliability it's worth it. Plus the Corsair RAM has those huge heatsinks and that may be an issue with aftermarket coolers.

If you want even higher performance these are better than both sets
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231400

Ah, that makes sense. I initially got the Corsair RAM due to the advertisement of being made to work extremely well with the new Sandy Bridge cores, which was the centerpiece of the whole build. I'm a little bummed at the PSU cost, but I guess for premium products I need to shell out the premium prices. If there's anything else you can pick out that might cause problems, I would be happy to hear it! :)

EDIT - I have seen some forum posts on other sites that the 2600k CPU comes with the dinky standard Intel coolers, and not the fancy 3-pipe copper heatsinks from reviews. Is there any suggestions for a excellent Heatsink, yet cheap for simple Intel Turboboost OCing?

Abstract,

Thank you so much for the input. Even though I am running about $50 over budget, I can see this machine working amazingly if the assembling goes flawlessly. I'm just jittery about it, due to my previous machine that I had assembled failing spectacularly a month ago. First the video card started GSODing, then the motherboard was shot, at which I also found a RAM stick was physically flimsy, and even after using a different card as a temporary replacement and re-installing Win7 to stop constant driver BSODs, the machine continued to plague me. It was a $700 Bargain Bin machine, so I guess I got bit in the arse for using less-than-premium parts. Just hoping this one will smash my problems away for the money I would be pouring into it!

No problem. :thumbsup:

If you're over budget I have a suggestion. Don't get the overclocked graphics just get the base model and overclock it yourself. This can save you a chunk of change and is also a learning experience.

Newegg.com - PNY VCGGTX570XPB GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

This graphics card is cheaper, reputable, and has a lifetime warranty. Post back here once its built for help OCing it.

EDIT: Don't be nervous. You have top of the line parts and you'll do fine.

I have heard great things about PNY, so I have no qualms about going for something cheaper. I must admit though I have never OCed any GPUs or CPUs in my life, though I guess with the new SB chips making OCing safe and easy, there's a first time for everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom