My computer hates me. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gemini715

Beta member
A friend of mine recently upgraded a lot of his system's hardware. Lucky for me he was in a good mood so he handed down all of his old stuff to me which was is mostly mid grade stuff but still gave me the ability to upgrade my system quite a bit. I'll list the components just for tech purposes.

Intel Dual core processor
asus p5q-se2 mobo
ocz 700w power supply
geforce 9500 gt 1gb

I installed all of these components. Turned on my my system and naturally i need to reinstall the os(Windows XP Home, I can't afford 7 at the moment). Put the disk in and it gets about 95% of the way thru installation even let me set up the time, date, computer name and all that good stuff. It was at the saving settings step and all of a sudden it just restarts. Every time since when I try to reinstall it freezes after initially loading the files. I am clueless at the point other then thinking it might have something to do with the fact that both the cd drive and the hard drive are hooked up to the same Ide cable. My new motherboard only has one ide slot available and as stated before... i r broke... so my question is ... Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening and more so to the point, how if possible do I configure(if possible) the hard drive and optical drive to run off one slot ? I also think my computer has something personal against me... it's out to get me.

I believe windows operating systems can only be installed once per motherboard, perhaps you are using a used windows installation disc?

I believe windows operating systems can only be installed once per motherboard, perhaps you are using a used windows installation disc?

No. Media is media. Only the license number is really important.

It is possible that your disk may be dirty or scratched, but I figure you would have checked that first. You may want to format the drive and try it fresh. Use GParted to do the formatting for you as Window;s format tools is not all that great... especially the one with XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom