RAID question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustBecause

Solid State Member
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I've been searching around for a while and can't find an answer.

I just ordered 2 WD Caviar Blue HDD's that I intend to set up in RAID 0 for storage purposes. I already have Windows 7 installed on an SSD so this array won't be used as a boot device. I understand how to set up a raid array when you're installing Windows, but how about when you already have all that done, and just want to use it for storage? One confusing and very vague article I read said that I would have to reinstall Windows but that doesn't seem right.

If anyone could explain the basic steps or point out a relevant article it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

RAID 0 is a pretty terrible RAID for storage, BTW. You won't need to reinstall Windows, just plug the drives into the controller and follow the controller's instructions for initialising the array. Then boot up windows and you should be able to partition and format the array just like you do for a normal drive.

I don't mean storage like storing important files or anything, all this computer is used for is games, and it's not the end of the world if I lose those. I am looking for the best performance possible however, so if I'm not mistaken raid 0 is the way to go. And I'm sure this is a stupid question but what do you mean by controller? I'm assuming it's a raid controller, but I was under the impression that just about any modern medium to high end mobo had it built in.

Yep, you have to connect the HDDs to the raid controller in your mobo and configure the array. Windows should recognize it after the raid setup is configured.

I don't mean storage like storing important files or anything, all this computer is used for is games, and it's not the end of the world if I lose those. I am looking for the best performance possible however, so if I'm not mistaken raid 0 is the way to go. And I'm sure this is a stupid question but what do you mean by controller? I'm assuming it's a raid controller, but I was under the impression that just about any modern medium to high end mobo had it built in.

If you don't mind too much about the files then RIAD 0 will be fine. Mobos may have one or more controllers (with varying capabilities) built into them but it is still a controller, the instructions for it should be in the motherboard instruction manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom