need advice on gaming system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go with a better mobo if you think you'll ever be interested in SLI or Crossfire. It's says it has (2) PCI-eX16 slots but on the Asus Website P8P67 webpage it says:

That means the 2nd PCI-eX16 slot is a PhysX slot or a crippled slot.

The slightly more expensive boards should allow the (2) PCI-eX16 slots to run at 8X/8X when both are in use and I've seen a few models that support 16X/16X but they cost Top Dollar.

Edit:
This is the cpu you want to get.
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

Edit: This looks like a good board but Newegg doesn't have them in stock yet.
EVGA E675

I'm waiting for the EVGA P67 Classified to be released :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for pointing that out to me

However do you think I would really need a more expensive board when the second card will only be used to watch TV shows on a TV??

I didn't read the whole thread but I wanted you to be informed of the limitations as you never know what may happen in the future. The P8P67 Pro model is $30 more but it will run at 8X/8X.

Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard

You shouldn't need a 2nd card just to watch TV shows from the internet on a TV.

But if you later decide to play a newer game (one not released yet) and your single card just doesn't cut it then you will benefit from the 8X/8X slots and a 2nd identical gpu.

I didn't read the whole thread but I wanted you to be informed of the limitations as you never know what may happen in the future. The P8P67 Pro model is $30 more but it will run at 8X/8X.

Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard

You shouldn't need a 2nd card just to watch TV shows from the internet on a TV.

But if you later decide to play a newer game (one not released yet) and your single card just doesn't cut it then you will benefit from the 8X/8X slots and a 2nd identical gpu.

Thanks again for the quick response

My Tv can only be hooked up using Svideo, I do not have a HDMI on my TV'

Make sure your copy of windows is retail and not oem version.
If it is not retail I am sorry but you will need to buy a new license for your new computer.
If it is great, but take a minute now to check that out now before running into a problem.
Even if so you can still use windows xp pro sp3 for a week until you get your new copy of windows 7.

Good catch Slay... Wow.. it said 2 x `16x I figured it'd be 2 16x.

On the video card front, if youre keeping the otheer system running, Youre best to buy any second card, and swap the 7600 with svideo into the new machine and put a new card into the other one.

There really isn't any gpu with s video worth buying.

Hey quick question

Will this card work

NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE

Its a lot cheaper and I am maxed out on this system I am building

31m9st%2Bqx6L.jpg

Or this one

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

EVGA_GeForce7600GTCO.jpg

They both fit in my budget and have the Svideo I need

Mate if this is a gaming system, then those cards will not be enough. Can you post your current full part list up? (too lazy to read through this whole thread lol)
I'll see if I can cut some costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom