New HTPC Build Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried putting the PC together tonight. I think I may be doing something wrong. After finally putting everything in the case and plugging everything in through the PSU - I am not getting any power. The only thing I see that turns on is the Standby LED Powerlight on the motherboard. :( I really don't want to take everything out and troubleshoot it - but that is the only thing I can think of right now.

SO when you press the on button nothing happens?

Just check that all your connections are tight make sure you have the p4 cable in and also check that your front face cables are connected to the right pins on the motherboard.

Well there is a power button on the front case - but I didn't try that bc it should work when I flip the PSU switch, right? I just tried the power knob but it didn't work - I just plugged in the case POWER SW AND RESET SW into the mobo, and tried again, but no difference.

No flipping the back switch should not turn it on it only lets the juice flow so far.

Double check your power switch connectors. If you have a LED on the mobo you should be able to get atleast some fans spinning.

Check the manual for correct pin setup for power switches and LEDs.

Oh - in the desktop i built a couple years ago, I am reasonably sure flipping the psu switch at least turned the CPU fan on. No fans turn on here though. Just the standby LED like, like I said.

I tried looking at the manual and it looks like the power switch from psu is securely in (the 24 pin one). but I guess I can check again. Thanks!

I tried looking at the manual and it looks like the power switch from psu is securely in (the 24 pin one). but I guess I can check again. Thanks!

Nonononnonono... no.

I mean you need to plug in the switch for the case. You know, the power button, comes standard with a case, starts the PC, that one?

Plug the case switches into the mobo according to the manual and press the button. You should fire on all cylinders.

Fixed it! I plugged in the POWER SW from my previous post after you brought that up, and it did not work. it says POWER SW on the mobo - but I guess I had to plug it in horizontally instead of vertically. Thanks a lot! Hopefully there are no more "hardware problems" lol.

Ya I know thats why there was quotes lol. Now my problem is that the CPU fan is unbearably loud for some reason. Could this be something to do with the motherboard or the fan not being secure? something is definitely wrong. Also, one of the case fans is making a slight ticking noise - it is annoying even by itself even when i unplug the cpu fan - not sure why bc the other case fan right next to it is perfectly silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom