New build. Help a noob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokor

Baseband Member
Hey forum. I recently decided it was time for a new computer, but I'm relatively new to this, so I'm looking for some help. I put together a list of what I think I want, but I'm not sure about the compatability. This is what I have so far;

Motherboard-Asus sabertooth X58
CPU-Intel Core i7-950, 3.06 GHz, 8mb cache
Memory-Compatability on this confuses me a bit. Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Video Card-Galaxy GeForce GT220
Sound card-Asus xonar DG 5.1
Hard drive-Seagate ST32000542AS Barracuda LP hard drive (2tb)
Case-Xion AXP100 atx mid.
Power supply-Something else I need help with. I hear the AXP100 has problem with the stock power supply so I want to upgrade it right away. Problem is, I have no idea what specs to be looking for.
CPU cooler-Noctua NH-D14
DVD burner-Samsung SH-B123L Blu Ray Combo Drive

Since this is all new to me, I don't know if these are good products or not. That's why I'm asking here. Is there anything you would change? I have a budget of around 1300-1400$ for just the computer(I already have the monitor, keyboard, mouse, sound system). Thanks in advance!

It would have been, but tommorrow Intel releases the 1155 platform, aka SandyBridge, making your build old. And surprisingly it wilkl cost bout the same.

You spec'd a great cpu and a pretty low gpu.

Umnless you like the AXP100 case, its a waste to buy 2 psus..... If you like the case looks... oh well.

The nh-d14 is Huge! i'd save room and money and go with the nh-u12. They cool very simular.

But ALOT changes tommorro, and with your budget, its well worth the wait.

Welcome to TF BTW.

What gpu do you suggest? And I won't be ordering today, so I'll wait for the 1155 CPUs. Case wise, I'm looking for something with LEDs and style. I want this thing to look good. Should I be looking for something in specific in a case?

To suggest a gpu, we'll need to know your planned use.

With a case its 90% looks and then the features used to route cabling ahnd such.

So get a case you like.... I usually say you have to look at it, not me so get what you like.

Waiting till the 1155s come out is the best.. especially as its tommorrow.

I plan on using this computer for moderate gaming, entertainment(not often, but things like watching movies), and everyday internet surfing and socializing.

Where would I be able to find these new Intel CPUs? I can't seem to find a lot of information on them(I didn't look deeply into it, just a quick search).

And I revised my plan a bit, here it is:

Motherboard-Asus sabertooth X58
CPU-Intel "sandy bridges", I guess I'll see exactly which one when I get more info on this.
Memory-?
Video Card-?
Sound card-Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium PCIe
Hard drive-Seagate ST32000542AS Barracuda LP hard drive (2tb)
Case-NZXT G921RB Mid
CPU cooler-Noctua NH-U12
DVD burner-Samsung SH-B123L Blu Ray Combo Drive

How does that look?

I tried posting a response early this afternoon, but apparently I didn't :confused:

This is my updated plan. I'm still not sure on memory though, all I know is I want 4-8gb of DDR3 Ram.

RAIDMAX Blackstorm ATX-615WU Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS ENGTX470/2DI/1280MD5/V2 GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...

Creative 70SB088000004 7.1 Channels PCI Express 1x Interface PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

ASUS Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1LT LightScribe Support - OEM

I'm also skeptical about the Blu-ray burner. What would be a high quality drive to run games on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom