Graphics card???

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolbrze

In Runtime
We have a Dell desktop that recently had some issues - lines all over across the screen; tried swapping monitors and it didn't help. I think it may be the graphics card. If you concur, how easy is it to install a new one, what do I need to do?

Switching GPU's is easy. Post the model number/specs of the Dell so we can match the GPU with the PSU and the MOBO you have in the Dell. Does the dell have a dedicated GPU or is it a "On board" type of graphics?

I'm with acerinpa - the main thing that we will need to know is whether it has a PCI-Express slot, an AGP Slot, or if it doesn't even have a video expansion slot.

If it does end up having an expansion slot, they are really, very easy to install, and there are many options available on the market at any price range.

It's a Dell Dimension 8250 w/ Windows XP if that helps. Unfortunately I have no idea about the dedicated GPU, "On board" type of graphics, PCI-Express slot, an AGP Slot, or if it doesn't even have a video expansion slot...

Also, when the graphics card goes out, does it start using more memory as the PC got a good bit slower around the same time, although it may be a coincidence though.

Upon booting up, it said the system battery is low, press F1... Can I replace the sys battery also and how? Thanks for the help!

It's a Dell Dimension 8250 w/ Windows XP if that helps. Unfortunately I have no idea about the dedicated GPU, "On board" type of graphics, PCI-Express slot, an AGP Slot, or if it doesn't even have a video expansion slot...

You have AGP, so you need an AGP video card.

Also, when the graphics card goes out, does it start using more memory as the PC got a good bit slower around the same time, although it may be a coincidence though.

Upon booting up, it said the system battery is low, press F1... Can I replace the sys battery also and how? Thanks for the help!
It could be a few things, your CMOS battery could be bad, or your motherboard could be failing, at least according to a quick google search.
Turn off your computer and unplug the power before doing this, also ground yourself before ever touching any computer part. During this procedure, ground yourself multiple times.
You should need a CR2032 battery, however make sure you open your computer and read the battery before purchasing one, as older motherboards used different sized batteries. Normally, the back of the battery (negative side) is facing you and it tells you the type and maker of the battery, you may not need to remove the battery to see the type.
To replace the battery is fairly simple, open your computer and look for a button cell battery, around the size of a Nickle. Take the battery out, remember the exact way that it went in, then put a new battery in the same way you took the former battery out.
Take a look at This for more information about your computer.
"battery socket (BATTERY)" This is the battery that may need replacing.
techov11.jpg

Edit: your computer case opens in an unusual way, see below
techov8.jpg

does any one know about dedicated power sources... please post looking for some info concerning graphic cards and dedicated power sources.

does any one know about dedicated power sources... please post looking for some info concerning graphic cards and dedicated power sources.

Please do not post an off topic question in a thread that was not created by you, this question belongs in its own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom