very strange lockup issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortstop20

I'm having a strange issue with my custom built PC. "Lockup" isn't even a good way to describe it but it's about the closest.

What happens is that my screen will all of the sudden go black, like there's no Input(box on screen even comes up and says "No Input"), all input devices seem to quit working, mouse/keyboard won't bring the screen back up either. Even when I'm streaming to my XBox 360 via Media Center and it locks up it will quit streaming to Media Center. Then the XBox says it can't find the Media Center PC until I do a hard reboot on the computer. I have encountered this problem while the computer is at idle and just using the computer in general as well. Doesn't seem to be related to any program I have running.

I don't ever remember the computer doing this until I added my 64 GB SSD. It's a Western Digital SSC-D0064SC-2100. It has Windows installed on it, as well as all of my programs. I didn't find any updated firmware on Western Digital's site. Movies, Music, and basically everything else is stored on the other HDD's(see attached JPEG).

I have reverted to default BIOS settings, didn't make any difference.

The computer does not overheat(according to temp readings in BIOS).

I have the screen saver and system standby turned off.

System is clean of malware(ran Avast, Malware Bytes, Super Anti Spyware, Spybot and Ad-Aware).

I have Avast, Ad-Aware, Daemon Tools, Realtek HD Audio Manager and Catalyst Control Center running at startup.

Here's the specs on the PC:

Mobo: Gigabyte TA790GXB A2+(I'm running most recent BIOS version)
Video Card: Gigabyte HD 4350(most current ATI drivers)
Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB DDR2 800
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Power Supply: Antec TruPower 450W(I've had it since 2005)
See attached JPEG for rest of hardware.
Processor is running the stock settings, no overclock.

View attachment 4588

Any help is appreciated. My gut tells me this is a motherboard or SSD issue.

Attachments

• hw.jpg
    hw.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 439
I'd say it's the PSU. 5 years old, and a 450 running on that? I think you are undervolting. Get HWMonitor and give us a screenshot.

I'll be sticking with this mobo and cpu setup for a while. Can't justify going to anything newer/better right now.

Something quiet would be nice as I sleep close to my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom