Upgrade or save?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joho128

Solid State Member
Hey guys first post on here. Anyways the other day me and my friend took his dads old computer apart (the MOBO was fried on it) this computer was probably bought a few months before vista came out so it has 1 gig DDR2 ram 80 gig SATA harddrive 300 watt power supply and a DVD rom and also it has windows XP, so i was just wondering since i do a little gaming (World of Warcraft, minecraft, League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth) nothing fancy but still some demanding game. So my question is is it a good idea to go out and buy a new MOBO with a CPU and grab maybe 3-4 gigs of ram and a graphics card or just save and buy a whole new system. Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

I think at that expense ( new mobo, CPU, RAM, HDD, GPU, etc etc...), you will need to upgrade your power supply. The only thing you really have going for you here is a case, and a ODD assuming that still works. Your best bet is to just go for a low budget gaming rig.

Additional: What kind of system was/or is it? What's make/form factor is the case, and the specs on the ODD? Or, how much are you willing to spend?

Ya a new system all together is what I'm going to suggest. There isn't much you could put into that and game well without replacing everything.

Well what i was thinking of doing was buying these 2 items to begin with MOB and CPU (Buy the Biostar N68S+ w/ Athlon X2 7850 BE CPU at TigerDirect.ca) RAMX2 (Buy the Crucial 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 Memory at TigerDirect.ca) and as i get the money i can go buy a graphics card later on and i can use the on-board geforce 7025 untill then. Right now i am running a Intel 4 series express chipset family so even the on-board on that MOBO would be an upgrade

here are detailed specs

windows XP home edition (32 bit)
1 gig DDR2
Seagate barracuda 80 gig HDD
300 watt power supply
DVD burner/reader with light-scribe

I mean we need to know the hardware he has so we can give him an informed advice if he should upgrade or not. Since he has a P4 series he definitely should buy a new rig. It's a waste of money to invest in such old technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom