Opinions on £700-800 Gaming build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMSellars1

Beta member
Hi guys.

I'm building a new pc very soon and my budget is around £600-650 but i already have a Palit GTX 460 1GB graphics card which i plan to use. I will probably overclock the CPU and possibly GPU's and im not massively bothered about it being quiet. So any opinions/advice would be nice, my intended build is as follows:

Intel Core i5 760 2.8Ghz - ~£145
Coolermaster Hyper 212 CPU Cooler - ~£20
Corsair 2x2GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM - ~£45
Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB - ~£150
Palit GTX 460 1GB (Already own) - ~£140
500GB Western Digital Green HDD - ~£30
OCZ StealthXstream 2 700W PSU - ~£70
Asus P7P55D PRO Motherboard - ~£100
Coolermaster Gladiator 600 Case - ~£50
2x Zaward Golf Case Fan 140mm - ~£17
Zaward Golf Case Fan 120mm - ~£7

So can anyone see any problems with that build? It is to be used for gaming so quietness isnt a big issue so long as it doesnt sound like its about to take off.

Also, i am hoping to be able to do an overclock on the CPU to around 3.2-3.6Ghz. Does that sound realistic?

Thanks in advance guys :)

Just realised that that PSU isnt gonna cut it for a few reasons, i tend to leave my PC on a lot and i want to leave some headroom for overclocking. Not to mention i dont think it has enough PCI-e connectors as those cards need 2 each. Id go for an XFX Pro Series 850W PSU instead, which is about £20 more

I would wait for the sandbridge cpus to come out. Even if they don't fit your budget they will probably low the price of the i5 760.
Don't get the Green series, it's a low performance series that works only at 5400rpm. Get the high performance series, Black series, that works at 7200rpm and has higher levels of cache.

oh ok, only reason i chose green was because the store im using only has green and blue and the green one had a higher cache, ill keep my eyes out for the black one.

I agree, wait half a month and get one of the Sandy Bridge CPUs.

hey, thanks for the reply. I dont know much about sandy bridge, why should i wait and get one of those cpu's? Will i not get better value for money with slightly older tech? Also Farinha, may i ask which cooler you are using on your cpu? and what kind of temps are you getting idle and under load? Thanks :)

Sandy Bridge is sizing up to outrun the currently flock of Intel's CPU's. The top Sandy coming out is the i7 2600K and it is supposed to be $317 (I heard) and is slightly behind or equal to the i7 980x ($1000 CPU). The i5 2300 is the cheapest quad and will run $177. There will be two hyperthreaded dual core i3's at launch, as well as four other quads between the 2300 and 2600K. Only the "K" branded CPUs have unlocked multipliers, however (two at launch).

I'm using the NOCTUA NH-U12P SE2. I'm getting 50ºC full load but I'm using a bad thermal paste and need to clean it... Waiting to have patience to clean it up and reseat it.
Even if you don't buy the new sandybridge cpu you should wait because their release should make the i5 760 to drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom