Power supply issue with new graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uziel

Solid State Member
Alright, so my friend let me have one of his old graphics cards and I figured anything is better than my pos onboard video card. It was a GeForce GS 8400 and when I tried to install it, my computer powered on for less than a second, then shut off. So my initial reaction was that it was a power supply issue, but I'm not sure. Here's the specs of my system.

Motherboard: Asus M4A785-M
Processor: AMD Dual Core Athlon X2 245
Power Supply: Rosewill RV2-600(it says 600W, who knows if its right)
Optical Drive: LiteOn 24x Internal CD/DVD Writer
RAM: 2x 2GB GSkill DDR2
Hard Drive: 750 GB Seagate 7200 RPM

P.s. The computer still ran after taking out the video card, so that's why I thought it was a power supply issue.
I've done multiple of the online PSU output calculators and I've never used anymore than 400W total. So apparently this graphics card takes up 200W of power? I have no clue.

actually, I guess it was in the wrong box, never really noticed this before but its not the 8400. Its a GeForce 6 series and from what I'm seeing online, its the 6800(either XT or GS). Also, I tried putting it in again after unplugging all power supply from the computer and trying again with no luck, still the same issue.
If anyone has any further updates on whether you think its the graphics card or the PSU, that would be great.

Your PSU could be faulty, but I highly doubt a 600w psu cannot supply that card my dad a runs a high end 6 series on a 400w and its fine.

**** I been running a gtx 260 on a 600w PSU so it will run a 6800 XT/GS fine, I also ran a 8500 GT on a 600w psu.

The 6800 ultra takes between 70-120w according to various sites, the GS takes considerably less, your psu should run that fine since you have 200w spare according to your post.

Thank you all for your inputs. But does anyone possibly think that the power supply is falsely labeled? Because I was reading online and some people were saying that Rosewill may have been mislabeling their wattages. I'll admit that when I bought the power supply, that had the least amount of research involved. I never really knew how important that part was. If it helps at all, it was only about $50 for it, and some were saying that $50 for a 600W supply means poor quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom