Need Custom Computer for a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

time29

Solid State Member
This is a heavy gamer, a serious causal user and a person who dips in from time to time for writing (when they feel they're able to). I was thinking about getting them an Alienware computer (with these specfications*) but it seems to be made for gaming only and I'm not sure it would be good for a typist like who loves writing and a casual user with other usages.

So what kind of computer I should buy for them? They like Sony and they don't like Dell but if it's worth it it's fine.

It should be a 15 inch screen.
Basic CD-Rom functions should be included by default.

-They collect lots of video (and pictures) from their hobbies and would like to burn the extra video to DVD and have the extra pictures on USB Drives.

- They're a seriously heavy browser who keeps about 10, 15 to 25 windows with video and other stuff up there so it should be able to keep up with that.

- They watch TV and DVDs and other things so I'd want something that can keep up quality and usage.

- 2 USB Drives is a must for them.

- Music is very important to them, they listen to it most of the time when they're gaming, writing or anything else. They use headphones but the computer should be able to handle this and their other activites.

(*Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit, English
Intel® Core™ i7 940XM Quad Core Processor, 2.13GHz (3.33GHz Turbo Mode, 8M Cache)
SLI® 1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 285M
256GB SSD - Samsung Solid State Drive)

-What I like about the Alienware page.
is that they let you order other things with your product so if there's something similar that's a +.

- Some games he plays are Dofus the older version, Gunz and other (IJJI games) but he wants to start playing the more high end games like WOW and Final Fantasy 13. (I read the sticky and I can't be sure if it would work on both and the other things he does.)

They also travel from time to time and like to move around alot so something that's not too heavy is great but not a priority.

The computer is used for basically everything so it should to be ready for some wear and tear, very long usage and be made to last through the years. Sony has done them well for awhile but they need a new one.

The hardiness, memory and battery usage should be included and I'm looking for the best.

Other features:
-They would also like a C and D drive
- The green and red ports made to handle factory built mouse and keyboards.
- A computer that can use Wireless, Ethernet and Phone features.
- Raid 10 if it's possible with the other things I'm asking for.

$5,000 dollars is the limit but it shouldn't matter too much if it's good enough. Expensive isn't always better.

I would get an i5 max, i would never recommend i7 for a laptop.

its just a battery drain, and besides you would not really notice any difference (laptop use)
my opinion.....

if you dont care about battery, the toshiba Quismos (i believe thats what its called) are really good
but expect no more than 1.5 hr of battery

Thank you but the keyboard for those laptops (Quosmto) are pretty cramped and the touch pad is a bit small. Are they able to fix that and is there anything with a stronger (physical) screen? Some reviews say it's flimsy and I'm concerned about the charger wire breaking since that's when their older one started to act funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom