Will it do what I need it too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFoshee

Beta member
Okay, so I just purchased a new laptop and due to price being an issue I had to change a few of the things that I wanted in it to drop it down below $1000. I'm a Computer Information Systems Major and I'm planning on using this new laptop as my soul computer for college. I'll be writing and running COBOL, C++, .NET, etc. programs as well as data basing on it. I haven't had the chance to use any computer with the new Intel processors and I'm still running on a Centrino Dual Core processor which has kept me going but has its limitations, particularly when performing loops. I'm looking for this computer to get me through college, provide excellent speed (or at least a lot faster than I'm going now), and not have a bunch of problems that need to be sorted through.
Here's a list of the the specs, so tell me what you think:
HP Pavilion dv7t Select Edition Entertainment
• Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
• System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Quad Core processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz
• 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 graphics [HDMI, VGA] - For Quad Core Processors
• FREE Upgrade to 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• No Additional Office Software
• No additional security software
• 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (over-sized)
• 17.3" diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1600 x 900)
• FREE Upgrade to Blu-ray player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner
• HP TrueVision Webcam and Fingerprint Reader
• Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
• Standard Keyboard

Do NOT get the DV series of HP. They are known to break, down the road. Better to get a Dell XPS or something. Or maybe a Lenovo, they are made to last.

My brother, my mom and my dad got the dell xps series and had to have their motherboards replaced within the first few months of using their computer. I have a Dell now and it works great but its an older model and I'm looking for an upgrade. I have a friend with an older model Pavilion that he got around the same time I got my Dell and its still running like a top. I know from experience the newer Dell's have hardware issues so I'm deciding to go with HP and I found a nice $500 off deal which allowed me to bump up to the i7. What I really want to know is if the hardware I have selected will impress me or leave me disappointed.

Sure, it may work, but on average, a lot of people were disappointed with the DV series. I don't particularly like Dell, either. I don't really think an i7 will be that much better than a i5. If you get an i7 for cheap, that normally means you will skimp on other components.

That markup should fine though. If you can give up a little to get better parts, you will get an allover better laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom