Fans/lights not turning off after shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

relikpL

Baseband Member
Hello,

After clicking on "shutdown", Windows seems to do just that (monitor goes black), but my CPU, GPU, and system fans continue to run, along with all the LEDs.

The strangest thing about this issue, is that I built 4 exact same computers (same components, same revisions), and 2 of them have this problem. The other 2 work just fine.

I checked the motherboard prongs (JFP, JFP2), made sure the "faulty" computer was wired exactly the same way as the properly working one, checked all bios options that I could think of, and re-installed the video card drivers.

The computer still fails to completely power down and just stays in that state with the fans spinning and lights on.

I'm running windows 7 32bit on an MSI P55-GD55 board, Intel i5 with 2x2GB Corsair XMS3, and all default settings in BIOS.

Any suggestions/ideas?
Thanks in advance.

It sounds to me like the system is getting caught up on something when its trying to shut down. After you shut down and the fans and lights stay on, if you completely switch it off manually, does it, on next boot, tell you Windows did not shutdown correctly/completely? Is there some sort of shutdown log in Windows? I know I've seen before in Linux that it has a hard time unmounting some drive for some reason or another and just kind of sits there forever not doing anything because it can't.

Or maybe your shutdown event is somehow tied to a hibernate/suspend/sleep mode?

It sounds to me like the system is getting caught up on something when its trying to shut down. After you shut down and the fans and lights stay on, if you completely switch it off manually, does it, on next boot, tell you Windows did not shutdown correctly/completely? Is there some sort of shutdown log in Windows? I know I've seen before in Linux that it has a hard time unmounting some drive for some reason or another and just kind of sits there forever not doing anything because it can't.

Or maybe your shutdown event is somehow tied to a hibernate/suspend/sleep mode?

Thanks for the responses,

When I switch it off manually after clicking shutdown, Windows boots without any messages.

Another thing I can say is that when I press reset after the shutdown, the computer responds by booting into Windows, which tells me something isn't shutting down completely.

Also, the power LED light is always on when current is supplied, whereas in my properly shutting down computer the LED is only on when the computer is on.

All ideas are very welcome.

Another thing I can say is that when I press reset after the shutdown, the computer responds by booting into Windows, which tells me something isn't shutting down completely.

Do you mean like right away or what? If so then sounds like it is somehow going into a hibernate mode.

Do you mean like right away or what? If so then sounds like it is somehow going into a hibernate mode.

At any time after the "shutdown", if I press reset it reboots the computer and starts the boot sequence/windows loading procedure.
How do I check if my shutdown button in the Windows interface is actually causing it to hibernate? Why would that be?

I checked in my power settings, and under Power Button it says "Shut Down", but then again I don't use that button to power off, since I click on Shutdown.

At any time after the "shutdown", if I press reset it reboots the computer and starts the boot sequence/windows loading procedure.

How is that different from a normal start up?

How is that different from a normal start up?

It's exactly the same as a normal start up, so I'm thinking that it isn't powering down, but maybe hibernating like you said?
If the system truly powered down but the fans continued to spin, the reset button wouldn't nudge the computer back into life, would it?

Google searching for "windows 7 doesn't powerdown" found this
Go into the windows control panel and the device manager to the tab for IEEE-1394 Bus Host Controllers and click the tab to expand it then right click for properties and under power managment click "Allow the computer to turn off this device...." and all is back the way it should be!

Note: if that doesn't work and you search yourself be sure to use the term powerdown instead of shutdown. It seems they mean different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom