Help! Installed a new GPU and now my computer will not start at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone.

I had a system that was running flawlessly. I just removed a new GTX 450 and installed a GTX 460. When I hit the power button, literally nothing happens at all.

I removed the GTX 460 and reinstalled the GTS 450. Still no go.

I am not even sure where to start on this. I have never had a situation where the PSU would not even fire up. I desperately need help as this is my primary computer.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks,

Soar

i've had hard drive cords pull out on me as well. recheck EVERY wire connection.
nothing to it but to do it!

if it fires up but cant get any signal to the screen, it may be a bad graphics card. that one stumped me for like 2weeks one time!

I had this happen after testing out an old cd drive, but I had nudged the power button cord slightly out of place...

Hi everyone.

I had a system that was running flawlessly. I just removed a new GTX 450 and installed a GTX 460. When I hit the power button, literally nothing happens at all.

I removed the GTX 460 and reinstalled the GTS 450. Still no go.

I am not even sure where to start on this. I have never had a situation where the PSU would not even fire up. I desperately need help as this is my primary computer.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks,

Soar

check you haven't knocked the power button connectors out of your mobo when you installed the card ( ive done this my self before lol)

Yes, I checked the connectors and still no go.

Or the switch on the psu.
Yes, I opened and closed the circuit via the switch numerous times as well as hit the reset button several times too.

@patonb ive done that as well lol

i've had hard drive cords pull out on me as well. recheck EVERY wire connection.
nothing to it but to do it!

if it fires up but cant get any signal to the screen, it may be a bad graphics card. that one stumped me for like 2weeks one time!
Hope this will not take weeks! Still can't get this beast to fire up.

I had this happen after testing out an old cd drive, but I had nudged the power button cord slightly out of place...

Plugged and replugged the power cord in repeatedly. Still no go.

I am beginning to think my PSU is fried. Can anyone here help me know how to do a simple test to see if it is dead?

Thanks,

Sad Soar

Unplug the main cord running from the PSU to Mobo. Look for the green wire and a black wire right next to it. Bend a paperclip and stick on end into the green wire socket and the other into the black. All it does is close the power switch which tells the PSU to turn on, so if the switch is on, the paperclip is in and its plugged in the PSU should fire up if its good. Also check if your wallsocket is switched on (sometimes those wall sockets and on light switches)

Marc

Since neither card is working I would suspect the power supply or pci-e slot itself. Have you tried using the bottom pci-e slot? If it works there I would rma the motherboard. If it's still broken I would change out the power supply 1st. If you have a multimeter you can test the power supply outputs (3.3v, 5v and 12v). But just checking for 12v means nothing unless it's bad because the other voltages are also required to boot the pc.

Does your mobo have a speaker? Is it beeping at all when you apply power? Remove the video card and try to start the pc without it. Does it beep now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom