Computer turned off and won't turn back on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand that memtest thing. It found 1679 errors with test 0, then didn't seem to find anymore, but it didn't act like it was moving on to the next test. Also, what do the errors mean on the dim slots? It found no errors on all the slots the memory was in, 0, 2, and 4 as it called them.

Luckily g.skill has a lifetime warranty, and it turns out I don't have to send them all in. If memtest said the lowest error location was like 4000 something and the highest was 6000 something, does that mean it is indeed the third stick, or do I have to run this thing with one stick in there at a time? Will the mobo like that very much? Instead of three sticks since it takes tri-channel?

Hmmm, it just crashed when I was just playing music? Could it possibly just be a coincidence with the ram and actually be my sound card? It has been flaky for awhile. Lately some stuff has only been coming through the subwoofer too. I know sound issues cause the BSOD.

Run memtest with one stick at a time, like I already said mate. If all sticks pass, then take one of the sticks and test each dimm slot with it. Install it in the first slot, test. Then in the second slot, test. etc.

still say the PSU is part of the problem - not consistently sending good power to system.

Could be, and if he's got a spare PSU then it'd be an easy thing to test. If he doesn't though, it'd be nice to rule out the memory.

Just wondering , since i am still really a noob at all this, could a bad PSU ruin RAM. I can see the RAM causing bios ,posting etc. , but the problem started with no power at all after the PC worked well for some time. Can bad RAM cause a PC to not turn on at all, no lights on MOBO , etc. = sorry for asking as this is not my thread. IF a bad PSU can ruin good RAM - why would you want to run the RAM through the MEMTEST using a questionable PSU that could possible damage the RAM. Wouldn't it be better to test the RAM on another system?

Yes, a bad PSU can ruin ram, motherboards, graphics cards, and in rarer cases hard drives.

Usually though good PSUs like the one in this build won't kinda half work half not work, they're constructed well with quality parts. It's usually the cheap, no-name generic PSUs that suffer more from intermittent performance.

Acerinpa, you're confused. The problem with the system I posted in the OP was the psu. I tested it with my psu. Now, I'm the one having the problems. The psu is fine.

And to Soulphire, if a slot is faulty, I need a new mobo?

Yes- missed the switch to your PC Druid - sorry about that. I was still on the other PC problem. Still , good info for me by asking the question. Thanks for the concise quick answer SOULphire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom