High Physical Memory %

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright enough of the bickering. Simply put all scanners work off of definitions. This is true. But at the same time it will take the infection writters a bit more time than a couple of minutes to bypass every security program to infect the large populace, which is their goal. So even if AVG is bypassed but is caught by Avast they wouldnt release it cause it wouldnt cause the most damage. That defeats their purpose. So even though they may be able to get past the new definitions, it would be more than a couple of minutes before they would be able to start infecting people again. That is a bit to much of an exaggeration.

So there are valid points all around. Enough bickering about the aspect of who said what or to what extent they said it. We are not fine tuning our posts for anyone special.

As for the OP, WDM is not for Windows Defender. Sorry but that is incorrent. That is the new Windows Desktop Management AKA Aero. I agree with Digerati that Spyware Doctor is not an antivirus. It is an antispyware tool like Windows Defender. you need AVG, Avast, MSE to be protected. So you could easily be infected since you dont have proper protection.

I'm sorry, I forgot to add that my PC Tools Spyware Doctor was with Anti-virus, so I am properly protected. I shall run a manual virus scan to make sure I'm rid of any viruses and get back to you when that is completed. Again sorry for the mixup.

Well, assuming you have kept it and Windows updated, you "should" be okay. But a supplemental scan can't hurt because there is malware out that does target wdm.exe.

What Antivirus are you using?
Spyware Doctor with Antivirus.

I thought he meant a Antivirus that came with SpywareDoctor. I never used it.
??? He does mean that. Not sure where the disconnect is here. On page one, I pointed out that Spyware Doctor by itself is not an anti-malware scanner. For that, he needs Spyware Doctor with Antivirus. If you follow that link and look down near the bottom, you will see under Security Software two versions of PCTools Spyware Doctor, one with and one without AntiVirus.

Now if you look above at Curbkiddytech's last reply, he states he is using the version of PCTools Spyware Doctor with Anti-virus.

So now we are waiting to see how his supplemental scans turn out.

The supplemental scan was completed and found no errors at all. I cleaned out the Registry a few times as well just to be safe and everything checked out fine as well. My percentage is still averaging around 50%

My percentage is still averaging around 50%
And is it Setpoint that is still taking up the largest chunk? I use a wireless Logitech mouse with my notebook and Setpoint is only using 6,800K. I can't imagine adding a keyboard would run it up to 160,000K. I might consider going out to Logitech and download the latest drivers for your mouse and keyboard and see if that is better. Make sure you pick the one for your version of Windows, which I just realized we don't know what version that is! It is really important to ensure you use 64-bit drivers if running 64-bit Windows.

What is the percentage in Safe Mode?

Are you "sharing" any folders or printers? Or mapping any networked drives?

Then, since this is a new computer, I go back to what I said earlier and maybe this is an indexing issue. If you walk away for about an hour or so, or even over night, it might complete then settle down on it's own. And since this is new computer, what other programs have you installed? Indexing can be disabled, but if using Windows 7, it is greatly improved over past versions and I recommend keeping it enabled.

You might also check out the new version of Secunia PSI to help ensure you are current. Note this new version is not compatible with IE9Beta - yet. If using IE9, download from the older version link on the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom