Computer turned off and won't turn back on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes druid built it for me. And thanks for the help ill try another PSU and see if that works.

So a psu can die like that and still be able to supply some power to the computer?

Yes- as I said - I did not know that until it happened to me. Based on the post count you (Druid) are much more knowledgeable than I - I just happen to have this specific experience already under my belt.

I've had something similar to that happen. On my old Athlon 1500+ and board, the fans would start up, but no beep, no screen. So I looked inside, took off the HDD, nothing. I actually took the RAM out, no beeping. So I put a different PSU on there, it purred up like an Enigizer kitty. So my PSU was working, but not working enough to boot the system.

The power supply is generating more than just 12v, it's also generating 3.3v and 5v. If any of these voltages are faulty the system will not power up.

yeah, I gave tested with my psu and it worked. Now my system is freezing on the bios screen :(.

Computer is freezing on BIOS Screen.

I just took on my psu to test my friend's system. Turns out his psu was faulty. Now I put it back in mine and it freezes on the bios screen. Sometimes it doesn't even get to the bios screen. I think I'm going to cry :(.

Edit: I just found out that it will start up when I hit the reset button on the front of the computer. I've done this sucessfully three times, but it still hangs on the bios screen if I don't.

Edit 2: System is only picking up 2GB of ram. I'm gonna try a reseat. I'm going to be so mad if my ram is fried and I have to spend a $100 on this crap.

Edit 3: Reseated. The system will start up normally now, but it is only picking up 4GB. FML.

Yeah. I ran memtest, but it was kind of a waste. I let it run till it found 1679 errors and then just turned my computer off because my keyboard wouldn't respond, so I couldn't exit it. I reseated the memory again before I did this though, and when I turned it on this time, windows found all 6 gigs, so whatever. Everything works now, but god, what a waste of a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom