First build advice/comments/criticism welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid.S

Beta member
I didn't include windows 7. Probably a dumb question, is it worth to upgrade the HD to a solid state?

Newegg list

I halfed it on the video card I think I'm upgrading it

Thank you

do you really need the blu-ray burner?

if you just wanna watch b-r movies, you could get this for half the price.
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Disc Combo Model iHES208-08 LightScribe Support

if you wanna save some money on the cpu, you could get the 955 instead and save 15 bucks
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
the 955 and 965 are the same, the 965 just has a bumped up multiplier to achieve the small increase in clock speed. you can do this yourself at no extra charge.

switch to this psu instead atleast.
Newegg.com - Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W Continuous Power ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

if you think you might want to add a second card later on, you should step up your psu though. with the promo codes and rebates these two offer, these would do at a good price.
Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

this board is a buck cheaper and is also good, even cheaper after the rebate.
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

what do you plan to use this rig for? usually 4gigs of ram is enough for most people, i see you have 8gigs listed though. i would just get a kit like this.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
if it's really not enough you can always add more later.

regarding your question about the ssd; if you mean replace the hdd with an ssd, no. probably the most popular setup is an ssd for the OS/programs alongside an hdd for storage.

ssd's can still cost quite a bit though.
Newegg.com - Corsair Nova Series CSSD-V64GB2-BRKT 2.5" 64GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
you could get this as your main drive, and keep the 500gb you have listed as the storage drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom